Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

You'll be sure to get another 20 years (at least) out of her after you're done there. Well done Lads!

@Beau and @Shayne - wheels and tyres... so going with 16's off an 80 with zero offset + 285 / 85 / r16 BFG AT KO2s. We're (well Josh is) fabbing flared arches and the original plastics are not going back on... therefore the arches will look bigger as the rest of the truck will be about 2 inches skinnier.... what are your thoughts on also running 30mm spacers?

I think you will have to rather than it being a choice , I think its tyres direct that usualy offer tyre and wheel packages so why not compare prices for an offset -30 rim and tyre against what you intend to spend including spacers .

I think you will have to rather than it being a choice , I think its tyres direct that usualy offer tyre and wheel packages so why not compare prices for an offset -30 rim and tyre against what you intend to spend including spacers .
Well as 8 got the 80 rims already 30mm spacers it is then!

Since you already got the rims, spacers is probably the easiest options. Make sure to get Hubcentric spacers. They won't cause you any balancing problems down the line. Also safer in my opinion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Love the way you aren't fucking about, just straight up going at it :)
Didn't get to go much at it yesterday... Think I gave myself a bit of cyanide poisoning... Was not well. Really should pay more attention with 2k paint.

Very little progress so far this week

IMG_20190730_204942 (2).jpg

Still a slow week... too much going on at work! But both sides front arms and shocks in... knuckes are getting sorted out... ordered up wheel spacers and longer studs. Planning on bashing out the steering rack and doing some cleaning and painting this evening.

And these are ready to be cleaned up and painted... New polly bushes fitted thanks TO Josh and Jason

IMG_20190801_224008__01.jpg

I expect to use a whole bottle of Raptor rolling it on different parts hopefully to give 2 coats . Is it safe to mix it all at once or will it solidify in the bottle before parts dry enough for a second coat ?

Last edited:
I expect to use a whole bottle of Raptor rolling it on different parts hopefully to give 2 coats . Is it safe to mix it all at once or will it solidify in the bottle before parts dry enough for a second coat ?

So the front half of chassis and arches took two bottles of raptor (750ml + 250ml harder roughly). With three of us going at it we were finding it hardening up towards the end of each bottle but it was a HOT day. I'd say mix half quantity if it's just you doing it. Oh and get plenty of roller refills as they don't last.

Thanks Fin , 2 hours is my estimated time to give it all one coat as everything i'm painting is removed .

Back