Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

I didn't get near 20k miles out of my pedders shocks and so i replaced them with monroe because i've no complaints about monroe suspension lift i put on the mrs truck several years ago .

If it was +50mm and suitable for the weight you expect to carry it gives you a price comparison anyway .

The stated 40mm seems an odd number but i know Roughtrax take a keen interest in customer comments , they actually phoned me requesting i took meaurements because i was the first to buy a 1KZ monroe lift for a 1KD 90
Hey Shayne - what happened with your pedders shocks then?

Thats a d4d 90 cooler dont bother .

The pedders shaocks failed mot for leaking which beggers belief because even on the most extreme terrian my swb wasn't heavy enough to compress front suspension much at all .

Thats a d4d 90 cooler dont bother .

The pedders shaocks failed mot for leaking which beggers belief because even on the most extreme terrian my swb wasn't heavy enough to compress front suspension much at all .

I did think it was too good to be true!

Leaking after 15k...nuts. Or was the mot man a pain in arse type?

YES ! twats overbooked so i had to wait like 2 hours for mot and the tester didn't finish work until about 6.30pm on a friday night , damn did he punish me for it . Failed bushes that i could sell as new on ebay , corroded brake and steering lines because he can't tell the difference between rust and the reaction to rust converter on metal , i can't even remember what else .

Sad fact is a truck that should have passed has never been on the road since because deciding i'm not willing to fix something that isn't broken i put it on a sorn so i could take it all apart to make the underside pretty , mot testers are gods who shouldn't get dirty dont you know .

Trouble is every time i look at it now i just get angry and with two other drivable cruisers always needing some attention its just been neglected .

YES ! twats overbooked so i had to wait like 2 hours for mot and the tester didn't finish work until about 6.30pm on a friday night , damn did he punish me for it . Failed bushes that i could sell as new on ebay , corroded brake and steering lines because he can't tell the difference between rust and the reaction to rust converter on metal , i can't even remember what else .

Sad fact is a truck that should have passed has never been on the road since because deciding i'm not willing to fix something that isn't broken i put it on a sorn so i could take it all apart to make the underside pretty , mot testers are gods who shouldn't get dirty dont you know .

Trouble is every time i look at it now i just get angry and with two other drivable cruisers always needing some attention its just been neglected .

Been there mate it sucks... Take it to a different tester and watch it pass!

I should have done but its all in bits now , with the right mindset i bet i could sort it in a couple of days , but that said it might take me a week to find all the bits now :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha! Know what you mean.

Frustrating evening this evening. . Front shock top bolts rounder off... Front Anti roll bar bracket bolts rounded off!

EVERYTHING has just enough surface rot to rou d but not enough rot to snap.... ARGH!

Any advise on front shocks appreciated!

This turned up last night... mini grinder... bolts will be out this evening MWAHAHAHA

32387215-2170-4B8A-A627-64363DE24701.png

Somewhat annoying evening on the truck...

Front shocks are off courtesy of chopping holes in the inner arches to get the grinder in on the nuts... Pulling the shocks out I managed to catch my thumb on the brake disc guard resulting in a ripped-down-to-the-bone thumb... ace!

So decided to take it easy after the wife and eldest's fiance had patched me up and took the diff/final drive out of the old axle... prize to the person who can spot the problem.

5.jpg

Rest of the diff looks in good nick though.

And... anyone know what this hose is and why it's bunged? It's on the n/s of the engine.

Rad and air con rad out, front ARB off (courtesy of more grinding).

Question for you all - while I've got things disasembled is it worth replacing the front and rear wheel bearings? They weren't advisories on the last MOT but just wondering if it's worth it or not?

Mine are still going strong at 240k miles

I've never seen any mention of them failing... they will, one day, I guess

334,000 miles on original bearings.. no problems

That hose is blocked off like yours on most models. Some models had a water inlet on the intake to help the engine get up to temp quicker by circulating coolant through it. No need to worry there. Just make sure it's all well and sealed.

That hose is blocked off like yours on most models. Some models had a water inlet on the intake to help the engine get up to temp quicker by circulating coolant through it. No need to worry there. Just make sure it's all well and sealed.
Thanks beau that's good info.

Massive roughtrax and milners orders in last night... All new front arms, uprated discs, new rear callipers, most of the brake lines, loads of fittings, went with the pedders / Monroe suspension kit, milners body lift kit, new ac rad, winch. And tons of other bits I've already forgotten... The wife's in for a hell of a shock when it all turns up tomorrow along with the wheels and diff actuator from Karl.

Pics to follow!

Back