Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

Probably iron man... Still OK without the arbs? I'm used to ditching them on old discos.... Wibbly wobbly!

Mines a swb but when they failed near new drop link bushes at mot time for no reason i just took both arbs off and it makes no difference to how it handles .

Mines a swb but when they failed near new drop link bushes at mot time for no reason i just took both arbs off and it makes no difference to how it handles .

I'd expect, if there was going to be any impact, that it'd be felt at the front (heavy engine)... think i'll give it a go with them out. One less job to do!

So.... thoughts please:

1. Suspension - Ironman vs Pedders. Thinking about this Ironman kit (if Westcoast ever reply) - http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/...onstant-load-with-foam-cell-shocks-lwb-diesel

2. Winch - thinking about this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-...277528&hash=item468b3a7778:g:YwcAAOSwJ7RcATCC any other options?

3. Roof tent / side tent (2 adults 2 kids)? Roof rack?

4. Auxillary lights?

5. Inverter / charging?

6. Fresh water suply?

7. Air compressor?

8. Racking/luggage compartment/draws (probably going to make)?

9. Highlift jack?

10. Spare wheel hanger?

Your mates mate benjy does the iron man stuff

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ve been running the monroe/pedders combo for 12 months with 6 of those in Africa. Doing great so far and my fav mechanic out there rates them highly

Personally I ditched my invertor and switched everything to 12v chargers. Covering 12v to 240 and then back down seem a little pointless for most things.

For water I just use a 25l Jerry can, unless your doing weeks in the desert between towns you can fill up regularly and don’t need to carry the extra weight.

No winch for me either, never needed one, just learn to know when to take another route imho.

I didn't get near 20k miles out of my pedders shocks and so i replaced them with monroe because i've no complaints about monroe suspension lift i put on the mrs truck several years ago .

If it was +50mm and suitable for the weight you expect to carry it gives you a price comparison anyway .

The stated 40mm seems an odd number but i know Roughtrax take a keen interest in customer comments , they actually phoned me requesting i took meaurements because i was the first to buy a 1KZ monroe lift for a 1KD 90

I’ve been running the monroe/pedders combo for 12 months with 6 of those in Africa. Doing great so far and my fav mechanic out there rates them highly

Personally I ditched my invertor and switched everything to 12v chargers. Covering 12v to 240 and then back down seem a little pointless for most things.

For water I just use a 25l Jerry can, unless your doing weeks in the desert between towns you can fill up regularly and don’t need to carry the extra weight.

No winch for me either, never needed one, just learn to know when to take another route imho.

Awesome thanks for the info!

I didn't get near 20k miles out of my pedders shocks and so i replaced them with monroe because i've no complaints about monroe suspension lift i put on the mrs truck several years ago .

If it was +50mm and suitable for the weight you expect to carry it gives you a price comparison anyway .

The stated 40mm seems an odd number but i know Roughtrax take a keen interest in customer comments , they actually phoned me requesting i took meaurements because i was the first to buy a 1KZ monroe lift for a 1KD 90

What lift did you get from the kit?

I am leaning a little toward saving some money!

I bought a +50mm kit direct from pedders but then swapped the shocks for monroe adventure or some such from Roughtrax .

A body lift is just spacers and bolts , ebay , milners , make your own its all the same so whatevers convenient because there can be no quality issues .

Hang on - body lift , make sure theres a steering spacer included

You could give winch max a go 13500lbs with synthetic rope a wander lead and remote got a fair choice to choose from and not bad prices used mine a fair bit for dragging trees out the woods and other general abuse also went for marine grade isolator fitted in engine bay when not in use

You could give winch max a go 13500lbs with synthetic rope a wander lead and remote got a fair choice to choose from and not bad prices used mine a fair bit for dragging trees out the woods and other general abuse also went for marine grade isolator fitted in engine bay when not in use

I did wonder about winch max... Bit of a mixed bag of reviews... But given that it'll likely be using it only as a safety measure I may take the trade off on price!

Back