Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

So having watched some Australian 4wd action episodes last night I'm now contemplating a gearbox swap.

Bravo on your parts tracking my light bar ordered last minute (3 weeks) never moved for over a week because as i learned only when i logged into the sight again 10 days after ordering that they won't ship without my phone number :angry-screaming: so its still in transit - in China !

Why would you change the gearbox ?

Bravo on your parts tracking my light bar ordered last minute (3 weeks) never moved for over a week because as i learned only when i logged into the sight again 10 days after ordering that they won't ship without my phone number :angry-screaming: so its still in transit - in China !

Why would you change the gearbox ?
5 speed tiptronic with full engine braking in 1st / 2nd / 3rd :)

I was very happy to note an unexpected consequence of going to a 3 inch exhaust was a reduction in engine braking .

I was very happy to note an unexpected consequence of going to a 3 inch exhaust was a reduction in engine braking .
That would make sense... I do miss some of the hill decent control you get from manual engine braking

All the way from the UAE.. Locker bits!

IMG_20190814_181602__01.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not too difficult to manualise a auto trans. It's been done before and I believe there are a few forum posts out there. You'll also need to do the torque converter lockup mod which will give you engine breaking just like a manual.

Not too difficult to manualise a auto trans. It's been done before and I believe there are a few forum posts out there. You'll also need to do the torque converter lockup mod which will give you engine breaking just like a manual.
Hey Beau.. It's not so much that I'm looking for a manual, but the idea of having a 5 speed auto with engine breaking in the lower gears taht I can modify is appealing... Check this out (ton of great vids by these guys)

I'm also considering (long long term) a swap to the 1hd-fte motor.

I've pinged wholesale autos an enquiry... Not sure they'll be much help what with them being in aus but I thought 'hey why the heck not ask'

Would love to see a 1hd-fte in one of these trucks. But weight wise, wouldn't you be better off with the D4D Motor? It will bolt right in and offers pretty decent power for a 4 banger.

What would be even cooler, is the more modern Diesel V8's that are in the 70/200 series trucks!

Would love to see a 1hd-fte in one of these trucks. But weight wise, wouldn't you be better off with the D4D Motor? It will bolt right in and offers pretty decent power for a 4 banger.

What would be even cooler, is the more modern Diesel V8's that are in the 70/200 series trucks!
Ohhh a diesel v8... Now that's got me interested!

Problem with d4d is just that.. Lot of work for another 4 pot.

Last edited:
Brand new axle.... Raptored!

Pic makes it look awful. . Better job in the flesh.

IMG_20190815_215350__01.jpg

6 cans of upol etch primer later the underside is ready for raptor. Compressor turns up Monday so bit of masking up tomorrow ready for spraying... And rollering.. .And brushing... Whatever works really. Excuse the awful photos it was dark and the flash shows up where the primer is a little thin in places... But good enough for the raptor to adhere to (long convo with upol last week about what it can/can't do with rust... Turns out the slightest hint of etch primer and raptor will seal it like a good un.. Time will tell!)

IMG_20190817_211548.jpg IMG_20190817_211337.jpg IMG_20190817_211317.jpg IMG_20190817_211247.jpg IMG_20190817_211451.jpg IMG_20190817_211429.jpg IMG_20190817_211417.jpg IMG_20190817_211542.jpg IMG_20190817_211349.jpg IMG_20190817_211357.jpg

Back