Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prop Shaft gone - 1996 Prado 3.4 ltr petrol 3 door.

Spinglehoffer1

Country Flag
uk
Garage saying there are a couple of types of prop shaft and they are not sure which to order - I suggested they might look to engine number to link to specific type ? any other suggestion please.

Tks Steve

Drive shaft or prop shaft? Unusual for the latter to let go....

Propshaft or driveshaft?

If propshaft, then it is pretty difficult to kill these. The UJs can be relatively easily replaced unless it is the rear double-cardan joint (the one closest to the transfer box) in which case it will need professional refurbishment or replacement.

As far as I am aware all three-door propshafts are the same (I'm running a second hand petrol prop on my diesel). I haven't double-checked this but you can check the part numbers here: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu.../kzj90r-gjmntw/3_781540_003_/tool-engine-fuel

I understood your thinking Shayne and it's unlikely that any garage would immediately opt for replacement if it was a propshaft. Perhaps we need a clarification from the OP?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's always easier to fit a new prop then fit 2 ujs if it's not your bill

You also got to work in labour rate as if they are not used to doing ujs also.

Can't confirm engine number as its written on paperwork in car which is in garage! They say its the prop not drive and are generally pretty good but i hear what you are saying re fitting new ujs!. Will pass on comments and see what comes back.

Thanks Steve

Splines can also wear in a prop so wouldn't scream and shout to much unless you know what is the actual issue and why they say it needs to be replaced

Hi,

Update, Dad back from hols (Garage owner) son was looking at it before and dad say's not prop looks like transfer box!.

Will let me know tomorrow hopefully. Anyone re-build or renewed transfer box?

Auto and manual are different so make sure you get a matching one.

They can be hard to find second-hand as they get shipped to the middle east and parts of Africa. However, if you search for 'breaking landcuiser' or similar on Ebay you may be able to find one. Of course it's a bit of a gamble. Scrappies will give you a guarantee of course, but once you factor in the cost of fitting and then de-fitting if needed (unless you can do it yourself) you will have lost a lot of money. On the other hand, most Colorados never get used off road so the transfer box will have been relatively unstressed.

I got lucky with mine, both finding it and it proving to be a good 'un. I got it from a scrapyard in Bury here.

There is a guy on here called Bob Murphy who rebuilds them and he may have one for sale

Cheers Dave, saw Bob's name mentioned on another post, hopefully it might be something simpler so i wont need one, then i might also win the lottery!

Tks Steve

Hi,
Update on Tranfer Box. Drained oil no metal but also only a thimble of oil. Tried contacting BobMurphy here and on other site, no replies!. Will try scrappy in bury as per Dave's suggestion, cheers, and will start searching interweb. Running on 2 wheel drive ok so far. Waiting for a contact in Harlow, couple of dinosaurs my age who may be able to re-build it, may get myself booked in with them. Any suggestion feel free to advise. Cheers Steve

Have you tried just adding oil?

Might be worth getting in contact with @karl as he may have or can speak to stef who has broken these.

If your capable of removing the shaft , its just a bunch of nut and bolts , then your capable of changing the UJ's yourself .

There are loads of vids on youtube so i just picked this one at random

He uses a press to put the back in but i use a vice , my vice is not bolted to anything .

I'd say bring it around and i'll do it for you but Braintree is about 4 hours away from me .

oops i should have read whats been posted since , i was just shocked to see the propshaft problem was still active .

No probs Shayne, welcome to Braintree anytime as log as you have 6 fingers and your close to your relatives!. Sill haven't had contact from Bob Murphy, had quotes from scrappies but terms web site attach to quote are a bit prescriptive!. Will hold fire with scrappies for a while.

Cheers Steve

Back