Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Putting a workshop in the garden...

RL12

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

After a bit of advice about putting a workshop in the garden..

So I've bought a house with a garden big enough for a (domestic) workshop, that I see enclosed by nice tall hedges. I did my research to see if planning permission was required (it's not as the workshop is a temporary structure).
You_Doodle_2016-11-21T20_14_18Z_zpsu5gva0p0.jpg

I've also made a scale drawing of where I want to put the workshop, basically orange is the house and garage, brown rectangle outline is the workshop, green is grass, black is grid drain, purple is sink drainpipe, paved area is where I want to put a hard standing bit.
IMG_1437_zpsyjjytaeh.jpg

My workshop itself which I've stored in a farmers yard for a year or two is a 'site store' which has windows and a pedestrian door. I've sprayed it brown so it's a bit easier on the eye. I'm not going to put pics of the inside but it's Insulated and fitted out like a portacabin with electric, insulation, partition wall, even a kitchen sink!
IMG_1433_zps0breqaef.png

I had planned to put it on concrete at the side of the house but after marking out the area it looks a but daunting and the missus Is worried it will devalue the house as it would be a permanent slab...

I'm going to be using trolley jacks, axle stands etc so wanted to stay away from chippings but I'm thinking this might be a more attractive solution

I've started digging out the area by hand as I have used the soil elsewhere, but will get a digger in when i work out what surface to use!
IMG_0474_zpswfaqt2do.jpg

It's one thing making a scale drawing but another thing stood in the garden... Any advice on how to continue or examples of similar projects would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Richard

Last edited:
Hi all,

After a bit of advice about putting a workshop in the garden..

So I've bought a house with a garden big enough for a (domestic) workshop, that I see enclosed by nice tall hedges. I did my research to see if planning permission was required (it's not as the workshop is a temporary structure).
View attachment 109788

I've also made a scale drawing of where I want to put the workshop, basically orange is the house and garage, brown rectangle outline is the workshop, green is grass, black is grid drain, purple is sink drainpipe, paved area is where I want to put a hard standing bit.
View attachment 109789

My workshop itself which I've stored in a farmers yard for a year or two is a 'site store' which has windows and a pedestrian door. I've sprayed it brown so it's a bit easier on the eye. I'm not going to put pics of the inside but it's Insulated and fitted out like a portacabin with electric, insulation, partition wall, even a kitchen sink!
View attachment 109790

I had planned to put it on concrete at the side of the house but after marking out the area it looks a but daunting and the missus Is worried it will devalue the house as it would be a permanent slab...

I'm going to be using trolley jacks, axle stands etc so wanted to stay away from chippings but I'm thinking this might be a more attractive solution

I've started digging out the area by hand as I have used the soil elsewhere, but will get a digger in when i work out what surface to use!
View attachment 109791

It's one thing making a scale drawing but another thing stood in the garden... Any advice on how to continue or examples of similar projects would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Richard

My understanding, and it may be out of date, is that a temporary structure is one which is in place for fewer than 28 days. In practice I think lots of people get away with this because they "could" move their structure. If you have a potentially troublesome neighbour who reports you it could get sticky. But I think you are still exempt as long as you conform to the eaves height and distance from boundary regulations, because then it's just an outbuilding occupying less than 50% of your garden.

Even if you don't need planning permission, you may need building regs if the structure has a floor area greater than 30m2. Again, for building regs a structure is only temporary if in place for less than 28 days. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations/2
Again, if no one kicks up a fuss you'll probably be fine.

I think your mrs is right about devaluing the house but that said you can store what you like in your garden and as long as its not plumbed in or permanent in any other way who's to say your not just storing it ?

Seems to me neighbours are generally the cause of issues so i would try and do it while their not home and myself consider it a temporary thing . Groundwork would be set so i could lift it out and sell the house next year without it being a concern , and if it all works out , in the long term its difficult to object to a permanent structure that replaces something that has stood there for years .

However every single report ever written about me states "he has a blatant disrespect for authority" so please note the above is not advice , its just what i would do in the same situation .

If I were you I would look at sitting it on a base of compacted scalpings with reclaimed sleepers at intervals on top, filled in with shingle. Have the sleepers pick up on the supports for the cabin.

Planning has been relaxed and you wouldn't need building regs for a portable unit structure. Eaves height and proximity to your boundary need checking but I think you will probably just come under that.

Take a look at www.perfectcabins.co.uk where we got our cabin from. Their site has lots of useful info on what you can and can't do. And a photo of our cabin too. :)

Thanks for the responses guys, some really good points.
It's 32ftx3m so would less than 30m^2 (just!)
And I'm thinking although it would be nice to work on concrete stone chippings or road scalping would be the way to go.
We're not going to live here forever so it would be temporary.... :)

The garden is nice and enclosed so it shouldn't really affect anyone visually, although I'm obviously going to need to be respectful with noise in the evenings etc.
128D0719-048C-4F29-8778-B022F3DD166F_zpsagpnr3bx.jpg
The only house that overlooks that side is the neighbours across the street
350e623f63bed0b050f875612e57ab45_zpsjteoadbg.jpg

Also I'm not ruling out cladding part or all of it in shiplap wood to make it look like a 'perfect cabin' :)

I've been on the planning portal a few times now researching but that particular link is new to me Rob. On one part of it it says about portable structures being erected for 28 days but theres also a link to the legislation.gov website which says a temporary building is intended to be in place under 2 years...

So in a nutshell, the impression i'm getting from you guys is that things are sounding promising, but keep on the right side of the neighbours!

Last edited:
I've been on the planning portal a few times now researching but that particular link is new to me Rob. On one part of it it says about portable structures being erected for 28 days but theres also a link to the legislation.gov website which says a temporary building is intended to be in place under 2 years...

So in a nutshell, the impression i'm getting from you guys is that things are sounding promising, but keep on the right side of the neighbours!

There are temporary buildings you need planning permission for. Like Portakabins on building sites. That might be the 2 years stuff. I used to do this sort of thing but it was 20 years ago and I'm certainly not up to date with it. But under 30m2, under 2.5m eaves height (assuming within 2m of a boundary) and I think you're fine. But it's just a thought!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had on of theses up for about 4year,had planning round but couldn't do anything as its not a fixed building they said.
image.jpeg

Back