Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Gary Stockton said:
An equivalent trip, as a club thing, self-led, would be an entirely different kettle of fish - we'd be up for that :clap: :whistle:
Probable change of plan, just researching a route/plan for a self-led trip through the Pyrenees for those dates instead if anyone else is interested in doing that?

Coming:
Me & Gav
Gary & Angela
Eric & Louise
Rob & Halinka
Reinhard & Ginta

[strike:3baj2p20]Matt & Christopher[/strike:3baj2p20]
[strike:3baj2p20]Julian[/strike:3baj2p20]
[strike:3baj2p20]Ray[/strike:3baj2p20]
[strike:3baj2p20]Steve?[/strike:3baj2p20]

Let me know if I missed someone.

Re: BOAB Raid Asterix take 2 (2011, 29/05-04/06)

Oh I like the sound of that :thumbup:
Pyrenees is on my list to do, would you like any help with planning , I have a friend down that way who has done a fair bit of it

I'm in please. :mrgreen:

With the caveat that nothing major goes wrong on my Morocco trip which will finish only a few week before this one starts.

Could be interested in that one !!

I am off to the Pyrenees a week today, 6th nov, heading down to Andorra from the west, then east to the med. be away about 15 days. Will let you know how it goes, taking the hilux,but hopefully you wont mind a post about the trip on here.

TonyS said:
I am off to the Pyrenees a week today, 6th nov, heading down to Andorra from the west, then east to the med. be away about 15 days. Will let you know how it goes, taking the hilux,but hopefully you wont mind a post about the trip on here.

Think we could just about put up with that ;) :mrgreen:

Only joking yes please :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TonyS said:
I am limited to a 9.25 day trip including getting there and back so I'll be interested to hear which section was the best ;)

Julian said:
Oh I like the sound of that :thumbup:
Pyrenees is on my list to do, would you like any help with planning , I have a friend down that way who has done a fair bit of it
Couldn't hurt to have more sources of information. I've sent away for some maps and hope to be getting a gps track for a route but then which bit to do and how far to travel each day, where to stop etc will all need planning.

Have spoken to SWMBO and depending on dates we would be in!

How do you get to 9.25 days Jon??

And which is the best European ferry terminal to head for?

Cheers

We are going under chunnel,then its 800 miles south( ish i think),so will take 2 days,then 3 lots of tracks from roadbooks, over the next 10 days. Will keep you posted,Jon on the best ones.
We have a journo travelling with us, so there will be an article in 4x4 mag, and sorry guys, langie mag!! Yes 3 landies are heading that way too, :pray: , and one mitsub dual cab. 5 trucks all up.

Gary Stockton said:
And which is the best European ferry terminal to head for?

Cheers

This is always going to be a bit if a compromise, northern French port and a VERY good days drive, or if they are still running head to northern Spain but longer on the ferry. It's always a bit nip and tuck because the Spanish ferries cost more which can be offset against the fuel and toll costs of driving through France
Never have been sure of the best way to do it

I have done some sample ferry costs, length 5m, hight less than 2.6m, 1 Adult one under 14 return costs

Portsmouth / Plymouth to Santander / Bilbao costs ~ £690 inside cabin duration 20h (I paid £500 last year with P&O)

Poole to Cherbourg ~ £350 duration 2.25h

Dover - Calais ~ £120

Gary Stockton said:
How do you get to 9.25 days Jon??
Starting on the Friday late afternoon (0.25) and then 9 full days (sat to sun) is what I have available is all I mean. As for ferry options, Dover etc doesn't look very attractive from here still so I'd favour a Friday night sailing from Portsmouth to Le Havre again I think, sleep on the ferry, aim to cover about 450 miles again on the Saturday & camp before doing another 200 or so miles by my estimation on the Sunday to reach our target area and make a start? I would enjoy the long drive through France and camping more than 20 hours stuck on a boat TBH (been there, done that, it was v boring!).

Depends on everyone else who's interested though? Sounds like there is interest :thumbup:

I would be keen to go past the guys at Freeways Latitude and get my winch bumper fitted - I'll see how that fits in - as good an excuse as any.

We're definitely keen - the timing is good for SWMBOs exams and dissertation etc.

Keen for more info when you have it.

Cheers

£75, booked last week. :thumbup:

I'd quite like to go to Freeways as well, if its on route (ish)
I think I am with Jon on the route, I prefer to spend as little time as possible on cross channel ferrys ;)
Last time I did it we did the Channel Tunnel, got a deal on a group booking. We got just south of Bayonne on day one, it was a very bid push, just about 1300km, I think the slightly longer ferry trip but shorter French bit is probably better

I don't mind anything, although I may not be brave enough to book a ferry before getting back from Morocco, so I may just meet you guys at your first over night spot in France if I cannot get the same ferry as you. :think:

Julian said:
I'd quite like to go to Freeways as well, if its on route (ish)
Where are they then and how long do these bumpers take to fit?

I won't be using the Channel Tunnel even if I wanted to as I have LPG fitted and I don't think that's allowed. I haven't travelled to Dover since I was a child but even then I just remember hours and hours of being stuck in traffic getting round / through London? I know it's a cheaper crossing but allowing for the extra time it takes and fuel costs I don't think it comes out any quicker or much cheaper for me.

Jon, good point, I forgot C/T anti gas position
I agree the flog down to Dover is painful at best, its 3 hours from me so I guess 5 hours ish for you
Now the interesting bit, which bits of the Pyrenees do you fancy?
Is it new post time?

Julian said:
Now the interesting bit, which bits of the Pyrenees do you fancy?
I need the maps to come really but roughly half way along the French / Spanish border is where my information will start.

Back