Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees trip advice - must see's etc

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I'm attempting to plan a trip for June of next year to the Pyrenees and bringing Mrs Trev along so want to make it a memorable one for views and off road trails etc.

There are a plethora of wikiloc routes and so on and I've no real idea of what are the must see bits and what can be left out.

I've 15 days max from home back to home to play with. I'm looking to camp in proper camp sites each evening (non negotiable from Mrs Trev) and would like to give Mrs Trev 2 or 3 days to look around some amazing towns along the way.

I believe concentrating either side of the Andorra area is a good plan (happy to be educated otherwise). I anticipate driving from the UK to the Pyrenees in one hit with us both sharing the driving and similarly to come back home.

Posting here hoping to pick the collective brains of those that have been or know the area.

Not an expert on the region Trev, but I've been there once. I enjoyed it thoroughly. My observations were these.
I found the Spanish side much nicer than the French side. No we didn't explore every single inch but the Pyrenees are a natural border so you'd expect the two sides to be pretty different - and they are. We just liked the scenery, campsites, food and roads more on the Spanish side.

The Smuggler's pass into Andorra is well worth it. It's not much more than a decent green lane and every 5 mins there is a Renault Twingo goes past you, but it's worth doing for the experience and the view. Andorra is expensive but had the cheapest fuel by far. We got down to the French Med coast and with it being holiday time it was like Blackpool on steroids. Gridlock nasty nightmare. We went back into Spain.

I'd love to do it on the bikes actually. Some beautiful roads.

Before using your phone in Andorra make sure your provider includes it under European roaming. Most don't and it aint cheap.

I and Anne got lost there so I would now take a compass and a map lol. It's very boring driving round mile after mile and not finding a way out. In the end I thought at least if we went downhill far enough we would find water. Yes it got that worrying.

Last edited:
Drove down to Andorra in 2011, In my old Nissan Navara Pickup, Stayed in a Place Called La Massana, It was a 5 minute Drive to the old smugglers Routes... But we were Climbing/ Hiking So would Park up and walk the Smugglers Passes.. And like as been said before we would often have to leap out the way of an old Renault 5 Bouncing Past Full of dodgy Characters... Andorra is stunning.. I vow to return one day.....(Forgot to say Camping at La Massana was fantastic)

Last edited:
Pin drop Torla and the Camping Area of San Nicholas Bujaruelo - really nice place to camp or stay in the village and explore the amazing Parque Nacional Ordesa y Monte Perdido. Loads of river hikes/gorges etc. All on the Spanish side.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Only been once, we took the ferry down to Bilbao, then crossed into France and back over again. As mentioned above, the two sides are very different - the French side more like the low Alps, the Spanish side more dry/desert like. Personally I preferred the French side, but enjoyed both and the contrast as you cross the range is stunning. Definitely a great area to explore, I don't think you'll go far wrong to be honest.

The N 260 the "eje de Pirineos " runs from Irún (Pamplona in Spanish & English) to Figueres , home of the Salvador Dalí museum.
Pamplona is worth a visit & heading east Roncal , Anso & Hecho are on the way to Jaca which has a spectacular fort.Nearby is the train station at Canfranc , now restored.
Going back to the N260 you could go over the pass (spectacular) from Biescas to Torla & visit the national park of Ordesa- described by some as the Canadian Rockies in miniature.From there next biggest town is Ainsa .Some years ago I worked in this area & for me this part of Aragon is both spectacular & underrated by most foreign tourists.From Ainsa you can follow the N260 all the way to the coast with any number of picturesque towns & villages to stop at.on both sides of this trunk road are 1000s of KMs of tracks to explore & loads of campsites.Andorra wouldn't be on my list no matter how cheap the Diesel is - just MHO .The end of the road delivers you to the best part of the Costa Brava , highlights include Cadaques , Figueres it's self , worth a visit I even if Dali isn't your thing , Castello d' empures , Torroella de Montgri , L'Estartit , Bisbal d'emporda & some spectacular Roman & Greek archaeology at Empures.This coast is thick with campsites & beaches to suit all tastes.
We've spent many years holidaying in this area & still we find great places to visit.For eating out Catalunya beats Aragon almost every time.Schools Brea k up in the 21st of June & you'll find nearly all campsites will be booked solid from this date until the end of August if you turn up on spec.Airbnb can sometimes be cheaper than the campsites , some of which are packed at this time of year.

'Subscribed' I'm thinking along similar lines... depending on whether or not the EU Pet Passport remains valid or there is a replacement

Following this closely, might follow you down Trev, maybe 6 to 8 weeks behind you

Same now we have a little one in tow, planning to do that once he’s a little older. So mid next year and going to do B and Bs and campsites. Be ace to see a trip report.

Last edited:
Trev, thinking of driving all the way down? Or get the ferry into Santander or Bilbao?

Thanks, some really good pointers and info to get me started. First curve ball has arrived, June is now not an option so possibly August or September (Hopefully that is out of mainstream kids holidays and campsites are still open) or push it out to 2021. I have a wedding to attend in Denmark in July so my plan B might be a summer trip into Norway instead.

@GeekOKent my preference is to avoid ferries, just don't fancy the thought of being green around the gills if it's a bad crossing and then driving.

Wherever you go, a tip from earlier is to always check national holidays for the route and final destination. In August there are a fair few religious holidays where everything shuts. And I mean everything. Plenty of pay at pump fuel stations around though. Some camp sites at peak only allow a 7 day minimum booking too.

Next year French school summer holiday
  • Summer break: 4 July – 1 September 2020.

A few of us have posted Pyrenees trip reports on here over the years so a good place to get ideas and see some photos

Thanks, some really good pointers and info to get me started. First curve ball has arrived, June is now not an option so possibly August or September (Hopefully that is out of mainstream kids holidays and campsites are still open) or push it out to 2021. I have a wedding to attend in Denmark in July so my plan B might be a summer trip into Norway instead.

@GeekOKent my preference is to avoid ferries, just don't fancy the thought of being green around the gills if it's a bad crossing and then driving.
You won't be disappointed if you end up in Norway.
Wish some of the weddings I get dragged along to in my ill fitting suit were in places such as Denmark...

I have to admit the Norway is staggering. I have to go back somehow, sometime. It's just off the scale in terms of scenery. And also prices. Sweden is very boring if you stick to the Baltic coast road. Finland is nicer. Ferry cross the Baltic, drive the central route up through Finland, cross into Norway with full tanks and provisions, then back out down the Swedish side maybe.

I have to admit the Norway is staggering. I have to go back somehow, sometime. It's just off the scale in terms of scenery. And also prices. Sweden is very boring if you stick to the Baltic coast road. Finland is nicer. Ferry cross the Baltic, drive the central route up through Finland, cross into Norway with full tanks and provisions, then back out down the Swedish side maybe.
Yeah I've sworn to go back. Didn't get nearly as far north as I wanted, due to crap weather.

End of the world. Literally. Next stop North Pole.

Screenshot 2019-12-29 at 23.10.35.jpg

Back