Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees Trip August 12th t 28th August 2017

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello all.

The Lady and I are planning a Pyrenees trip in August.
First of, is anybody else going to be in that neck of the woods around this time, or fancy pegging along/showing the way?

garygiles1963 has kindly provided us with this as a possible route: http://www.voyage4x4.com/Espagne/Transpyreneenne.php which does look very interesting and is what we are currently basing our trip upon.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? We'd be leaving from Portsmouth and either driving down through France, or getting the ferry to Santander, this is yet to be decided. We are planning to camp along the way.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Simon (aka Bert) and Rachel

Actually that's exactly what we've been discussing. No date in mind yet and we have to factor in exam results etc but we'd thought ferry to Santander to kick off with. Not done the Pyrenees before but I hear it's nice.

We are doing a Pyrenees trip in June. Because neither of us enjoy cooking we are going with Barrie @ Waypoint Tours. The attraction of Waypoint for us is Barrie does all the catering and is very good at it. We did the Alps with him last year and cannot praise him highly enough.

He's well known and respected. I just don't want to pay someone else for doing stuff that I can do. I love cooking in camp but I get entirely that some don't. Have a great trip Ian.

We may or may not have sulky teenager with us. If we do, we'll take the trailer. If not, then I still might take the trailer. But by then there's a chance I'll have the Lux so I could tow with that instead of the 80. We'll see.

I've not been to the Pyrenees before but in the Alps some of the hairpin bends needed a shunt to get round, worth bearing in mind if planning on taking a trailer.

Hi, if you're looking for camping spots in France, take a look at http://www.park4night.com/carte_lieux
We've done the transpyrenneenne 2 years ago. Very nice.
In August, some tracks will be closed for fire hazard, especially at the mediterranean side of the route.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi guys - if anyone wants a stopover in the Dordogne on the way, we have lots of space, and the BBQ is always alight :) Just let us know in plenty of time

We're probably looking at early August now (it seems) We'd boat to Santander then down the Pyrenees to the Med then up through France more or less hugging the Eastern border so a very kind offer Steve, but we won't be anywhere close to you on this trip. Not the way it's looking. But then given that our plan so far consists of 'Yes sounds nice, let's have a look at doing that' we may yet be driving past your very house!

Hi guys - if anyone wants a stopover in the Dordogne on the way, we have lots of space, and the BBQ is always alight :) Just let us know in plenty of time
Hello Froggy Steve. That's a very kind offer. Depending on our chosen mode of travel, we shall pencil you in.
Can you tell us exactly where you are for planning purposes?

We are half way between Perigueux and Angouleme just off the D939

Happy to see folk here :)

We're probably looking at early August now (it seems) We'd boat to Santander then down the Pyrenees to the Med then up through France more or less hugging the Eastern border so a very kind offer Steve, but we won't be anywhere close to you on this trip. Not the way it's looking. But then given that our plan so far consists of 'Yes sounds nice, let's have a look at doing that' we may yet be driving past your very house!
More than welcome anytime, just keep in mind we have to earn a living in the summer so will only be about evenings and the odd Sunday :)

Pyrenees have some great trails, if you want any info about any give me a shout.

Pyrenees have some great trails, if you want any info about any give me a shout.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the route I have planned. If I'm missing anything special, please do let me know.

Regards
Gary Giles

Hi

had a look at the route, i have driven a small bit of it in far West, last year and it was good up there
but the bigger mountains are more fun further to East, which you will get to.

the area between Viella > Andorra, i have driven some of the sections this route takes.
this is my favourite area of the Pyrennes

your route then goes to coast on a more northern route than i know.

i think it will be a great trip,
but i think 8 days would be pushing it though - if going by the 8 gpx files being a day section each. i did about half that distance in 10 days, and those days were often too long.

The only part i would consider deviating, is the highlighted in yellow on the red route shown below.
i have driven this in 2011 and 2016. nice high level mountain traverse, your route does a bit of it, then descends. earlier.
this section is very memorable, staying so high for so long with amazing views

Rialp-Espot.JPG

some photos of this section:

2016-06-27 15.50.20.jpg
2016-06-27 16.12.45.jpg
2016-06-27 16.28.53.jpg
2016-06-27 16.52.40.jpg
2016-06-27 17.35.33.jpg

couple of campsite recommendations

Voraparc in Espot was excellent

and also tiny rustic site at Castellbo - given a free beer on arrival, small family run spot

Espot-campsite.JPG
Espot--Voraparc-campsite.JPG
castelbo-camp.JPG

Hi

had a look at the route, i have driven a small bit of it in far West, last year and it was good up there
but the bigger mountains are more fun further to East, which you will get to.

the area between Viella > Andorra, i have driven some of the sections this route takes.
this is my favourite area of the Pyrennes

your route then goes to coast on a more northern route than i know.

i think it will be a great trip,
but i think 8 days would be pushing it though - if going by the 8 gpx files being a day section each. i did about half that distance in 10 days, and those days were often too long.

The only part i would consider deviating, is the highlighted in yellow on the red route shown below.
i have driven this in 2011 and 2016. nice high level mountain traverse, your route does a bit of it, then descends. earlier.
this section is very memorable, staying so high for so long with amazing views

View attachment 123953

some photos of this section:

View attachment 123957 View attachment 123958 View attachment 123959 View attachment 123960 View attachment 123961

couple of campsite recommendations

Voraparc in Espot was excellent

and also tiny rustic site at Castellbo - given a free beer on arrival, small family run spot

View attachment 123955 View attachment 123956 View attachment 123954
Hi

Andy

Thank you so much.

I will defiantly take you recommendations. I'm planning 3 weeks, London - Pyrenees and back. Should I be planning a extra week? or remove part of the route. Also your suggest route, ok to do as a solo traverler.

Thanks again.

G.

3 weeks should be fine, I noticed some longish road sections on your route.
If you don't manage to finish it off wouldn't be end of the world, you can go back another time to finish it :)

Last bit is not as interesting as the stuff in middle and further west anyway

That section I highlighted, I have driven twice now solo, in both directions.

Need a head for heights that's all, not a cliff edge, but very high up. but track is easy and wide. I have driven much more scary and exposed stuff in the Alps.

3 weeks should be fine, I noticed some longish road sections on your route.
If you don't manage to finish it off wouldn't be end of the world, you can go back another time to finish it :)

Last bit is not as interesting as the stuff in middle and further west anyway

That section I highlighted, I have driven twice now solo, in both directions.

Need a head for heights that's all, not a cliff edge, but very high up. but track is easy and wide. I have driven much more scary and exposed stuff in the Alps.

Hi

Thats brilliant, thank you.

I will add your suggestions.

Regards
Gary

Well folks, we have booked our ferry tickets.
Travelling from Newhaven to Dieppe on Sunday 13th August and returning Saturday 26th August, so I'm not sure how much we can fit in, but looking forward to it all the same.

Back