Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyreness June - July

yeah 55min is a bit long, such a contrast to vids of the end of the trip, I was looking forward to the none tarmac routes.

Great photos there, some nice geology and scenery and animal life
Drone shots pretty cool

You found some nice wild camp spots too,
Nice to see some familiar trails too

Looks like you stayed at same site I did in Andorra

That village on side of cliff in tarn gorge was cool wasn't it, we cycled up that section of road and back from saint enimee

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed that

I agree with Andy. I've just spent an enjoyable half hour looking through those photos. Some beautiful scenery and quite a few worthy entries for the 2018 calendar I reckon.
Thanks for putting them up Gary :thumbup:

The video was great but a little long, I'm also not a fan of the fast speed, it spoils the scenery for me. I've placed this on my to-do list.
Thanks for sharing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great pictures there!

So the question then becomes, did the trip change your impression of your truck at all?

some fantastic photo's there, thanks for sharing :) see cows are only nosey :) love the drone shots too!

Can't wait to get home and watch that lot
I'd really like to get some wild camping in somewhere just so the family get the experience

Great photos Gary, you really did choose a wonderful location for you baptism in the joys and complexities of off-road and 4 X 4 overland :thumbup:

I've never done a trip like that, so it's very hard for me to criticize or comment in any way really. It's my view that you wer very brave to take that trip on solo, and you did remarkably well to survive it without a scratch or any incidents of note.

Now to the video, and you did ask for honest opinions, so I'll pontificate on it in a general sense. All JMHO, of course...

Personally, I don't like the fast-forward mode either, as said in a previous post above I believe. I'd prefer to watch a more condensed version at normal speed, and I know that means cutting chunks out of it, but the results will be well worth it.

Otherwise, and presuming the above would shorten it somewhat, you did a commendable job on the editing, and I'm guessing that took you forever to do.

Great pics, beautiful scenery. Brings back fond memories. Thanks for sharing.

Hi

Thanks very much guys for your positive feedback and thoughts.

I'll have a rethink about the time lapsed parts of the video. Lot of the video was time lapsed recorded by the camera so there is not much I can do about that. Just no way I could film the whole trip in full 4k, I ended up with about 2.75TB of data as it is. So the time lap part were to try save on data. Should I maybe also think about adding music?

G.

Hi

Thanks very much guys for your positive feedback and thoughts.

I'll have a rethink about the time lapsed parts of the video. Lot of the video was time lapsed recorded by the camera so there is not much I can do about that. Just no way I could film the whole trip in full 4k, I ended up with about 2.75TB of data as it is. So the time lap part were to try save on data. Should I maybe also think about adding music?

G.

Regarding music, I don't think so, unless you have something special in mind.

But it doesn't really matter if you do add music, cos those that don't like it can just turn the sound off.

As for the time lapse, you'll just have to go again next week Gary :lol:

Is it not more adjustable, so it runs slower, faster than real-time, but slower than Benny Hill...?

I'd watch a lot of it at actual speed TBH, not all, but I think recording it all is maybe too ambitious

I manage to record everyday, but not all in real time as I just done have the room for the data.

Oh I'm certainly going back, I like to do the 1st few days again as it was as you can see, it was mostly misty when I did them, I like to see the views I'm sure I missed.

G.

Excellent Gary, I wish I could say I'd done something useful, but I haven't :lol:

Great device, and although I've resisted the temptation, you've gone a long way to convincing me, in principle anyway, to get one.

Would you please post some details of the drone, if you don't mind, and the camera (guessing it's integral).

Just the model number would do I suppose, but your opinion on how it is to use would be welcomed.

Cheers...

Hi Clive,

The Drone was a DJI Maviric Pro. I rented it off a friend. They are just to expensive for me to justify purchasing one. I know after the trip I wouldn't use it much. The camera comes with it. It has 2 huge pluses over others, 1 it has Follow Me feature, which you saw in the video above. But to be honest it was such a ball ake to get working, I stopped trying after a few goes. It really needs 2 people to do it. The 2nd it packs down really small.

If your not worried to much about size and the Follow Me feature, at the moment this one seems to be the one to get.
Xiaomi Mi Drone FPV 4K
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiao...al-Control-Mode-UAV-RC-Quadcopter-367441.html

For balance between cost, video quality and handling, everyone raves about it. and its half the cost. You really need a minimum of 3 batteries.

Your other option is to do what I did is find a friend to hire you one. Or share the purchase with a friend. I just find once I'm back from a trip I don't really have a use them.

As for the Action camera, I got a Yi 4K+(plus). Brilliant, really, really happy with the picture quality, just outstanding.

What you do have to plan for is data storage. I travelled with a Synology 3tb NAS drive. This has 2 internal 3tb hard drives, one automatically backs the other up. I'm a real paranoid about backing up data. I'm not happy till my data is on 2 devices. 4k video just eats up data, I was was on average each day, using 1 and sometimes 2 120 gig mem cards. Thats why I had to shoot with time laps as this uses up a lot less data.

G.

Nice, I like this video and I've added a drone to my Christmas whish list but like you've said I too won't know what to do with it for the rest of the time.

Back