Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question for our Aussie colleagues - on Toyota 78s

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Morning all

I would like to get some advice from you all. I am thinking of coming to do a tour of Oz. I have a prepared 80 in the UK but given the price of return shipping, i think it might be more sensible/economic to just buy a used 78 in Australia.

I would like to buy a reasonable one for a reasonable price (so easy right!). ideally it would already be ready to tour around the big lap and have a pop top of some sort. otherwise i could have an Alu-cab top fitted.

So the question is : are there a couple of well known trustworthy (fair priced) dealers or websites that you could recommend i look at to start doing my study of prices/choices?

Many thanks

I cant help you with your question, but there really is nothing like using your own vehicle, nor the line of; "this 80s even took us round oz you know"..

Just sayin.

Aussie dealers aren't always the most trustworthy... the main dealers also tend not to touch the modified stuff too much.

The easiest way you'd get an affordable one is to find an ex-hire from someone like Kea, Britz or similar

It also depends on where you are flying into as well, some places are better than others - look at the locations in the ad's below.

Also do you want a HZJ78 or VDJ78?

This looks a pretty good option from a dealer for a HZJ78: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2006/OAG-AD-15966412/?Cr=1

Whilst a VDJ78: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2011/OAG-AD-15653077/?Cr=16 (definitely ex-hire, even before I saw the service records)

Or a private one: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2008/SSE-AD-5482464/?Cr=26

And another VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2010/OAG-AD-15368640/?Cr=49

And a hightop VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2008/OAG-AD-15696367/?Cr=54

One more private VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2010/SSE-AD-5095805/?Cr=64

Another private VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2008/SSE-AD-5271016/?Cr=67

An ex-Kea VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2008/SSE-AD-4989085/?Cr=71 (Kea are a slightly more expensive rental company, and this is ex-rental (no smoking signs a give away...))

Another private sale VDJ: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2007/SSE-AD-5477669/?Cr=80

Another Kea: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2010/SSE-AD-5127960/?Cr=82

So, a quick look says that Kea conversions are more valued than the others, VDJ's are still cheap compared to a HZJ (read into that what you like... but it's been the case for a while - I've seen a HZJ ute with 330,000km on it being sold for about $35k, and a VDJ ute with less k's and newer being sold for under $30k....)

Padler Ed thanks for the links. Probably looking for an HZ engine but not wedded to that. slightly depends on the age/mileage vs price trade off. The Kea roof pop tops look good and the alternative flip tops i guess are probably newer (Alu cab?). Not decided on arrival city yet so will study location of those you sent. Still deep in planning stage.

Chapel Gate also still considering shipping the 80, but that s alot of cash that could be spent and maybe recovered down in Aus.

thanks again to both.

Bmonck, I would be very weary of some of the advice you have been given as it is not fact-based.

Licensed Car Dealers in Australia under the legislation must offer a warranty so being 'trustworthy' is not relevant. https://www.qld.gov.au/law/your-rig...-car/buying-a-used-car/warranty-for-used-cars

The suggestion you should purchase an ex-rental is also very disturbing. These cars are some of the most poorly maintained, worn out and high mileage. They are almost always sold via Auctions where warranties and independent mechanical checks are not offered, possible or practical. I find the prices in Auctions for such vehicles inconsistent due to ill-informed buyers assuming that, because they are at an auction, they are automatically getting a great deal. With the low interest rates offered on new cars and the death of the mining boom in Australia good 4WDs are readily available either privately or from Licensed dealers at fair market prices. Dealers will offer more security however if you find a 4WD advertised privately (that you prefer) you can get a mechanical or financial encumbrance check performed cheaply and quickly. Use carsales.com.au to look at both private and dealer cars. It is by far and most the most popular website. Also might want to look at gumtree.com.au, although it's more like the wild-west.

If you start in QLD you will find a plethora of good 4WDs to choose from as they are a staple and its a nice dry area. If you look after the car and don't pay too much you should be able to sell it with almost no loss.

I am happy to help, I live between our properties in Tasmania and Queensland.

Bmonck, I would be very weary of some of the advice you have been given as it is not fact-based.

Licensed Car Dealers in Australia under the legislation must offer a warranty so being 'trustworthy' is not relevant. https://www.qld.gov.au/law/your-rig...-car/buying-a-used-car/warranty-for-used-cars

If you read the small print there, anything that has a payload over 1 tonne is exempt from the warranty as it's classed as a commercial vehicle... also if it's older than 10 years it's exempt, or if it has over 160,000km... As he's looking for a HZJ78, the youngest are getting close to 10 years old, and over 160,000km... so the warranty is worth zip. I also suspect it would be classed as a PVF (Panel Van, Four Wheel Drive) and so be classed as a commercial vehicle.

"When they apply
Statutory warranty covers you when the vehicle’s:​

• odometer reading is less than 160,000km
    and
  • date of manufacture is less than 10 years before the sale date.
The warranty expires after 3 months or the first 5,000km.​

When they don’t apply
The following vehicles do not have a statutory warranty:
  • vehicles that are out of the warranty period
  • motorcycles
  • caravans
  • commercial vehicles
  • vehicles being sold on consignment for a private seller
  • vehicles that can’t be registered because of their design
  • vehicles that are on the ‘written-off’ register.
Commercial vehicles can be:
  • built mainly for carrying or hauling goods
  • designed to carry more than 9 persons
  • a utility with a nominal load carrying capacity of more than 1 tonne."
Chassis black and an engine bay pressure wash to mask everything is quite normal, and whilst a QLD vehicle has to be sold with a RWC they are nowhere near as strict as a UK MOT is, nor under the same conditions. Also a car dealer is likely to tell you anything to get a car sold...

The suggestion you should purchase an ex-rental is also very disturbing. These cars are some of the most poorly maintained, worn out and high mileage. They are almost always sold via Auctions where warranties and independent mechanical checks are not offered, possible or practical. I find the prices in Auctions for such vehicles inconsistent due to ill-informed buyers assuming that, because they are at an auction, they are automatically getting a great deal. With the low interest rates offered on new cars and the death of the mining boom in Australia good 4WDs are readily available either privately or from Licensed dealers at fair market prices. Dealers will offer more security however if you find a 4WD advertised privately (that you prefer) you can get a mechanical or financial encumbrance check performed cheaply and quickly. Use carsales.com.au to look at both private and dealer cars. It is by far and most the most popular website. Also might want to look at gumtree.com.au, although it's more like the wild-west.

Trying to find a poptop fitted Troopy without hitting the ex-rental market is not easy... hence why there are so many listed there.

If you start in QLD you will find a plethora of good 4WDs to choose from as they are a staple and its a nice dry area. If you look after the car and don't pay too much you should be able to sell it with almost no loss.

Apart from the sub tropical climate, all the beaches etc... for what the OP is looking for (a camperised Troopy) they are unlikely to be found inland which is what I'd class as a dry area.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A Statutory warranty is but one of the possible applicable warranties (voluntary or mandatory etc). Any warranty is better than no warranty. Ex-rental vehicles are typically poorly maintained and very high mileage, that's why the rental company's dropped them from the fleet presumably as they were beyond practical usage. Why does that matter? Because Australia is a vast area and recovery of a broken vehicle can run into many 1000's of dollars and be downright dangerous. just have a look at the cost of a replacement diesel motor. Anyone looking at purchasing a vehicle for touring Australia's remote area's should look at vehicles most capable of covering long distances without breakdowns. My suggestion is to perhaps consider getting a lower mileage wagon or duelcab and a camper trailer as there is more choice and you'll be more comfortable and free to explore in the car without packing up.. Every inch you go further from the axles upwards cost stability in a vehicle already challenged in that department.

I cant help you with your question, but there really is nothing like using your own vehicle, nor the line of; "this 80s even took us round oz you know"..

Just sayin.
I agree with Chapel Gate, Drive south as far as you can, then a quick ferry hop over to the northern bit and there you are "Australia" .... Its been done.

Nope. You cannot just bring your own vehicle into Australia for touring in real terms. Quarantine, compliance, registration and duties. and, no, there is no simple vehicular ferry. But yes, driving your own car is better than renting, especially in Australia. There is one 4WD operator in Australia in the news for ripping off tourists: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-07/4wd-hire-company-refutes-litany-of-scamming-complaints/9935858 my suggestion is to buy something of quality that you can sell quickly easily at the end of your trip for similar money. You should be looking at the total cost of your trip and overall quality of experience, not just the purchase or rental price. The cost is fuel, maintenance and the difference from purchase and sale. This is where a later model car will be cheaper overall, IF you can afford the upfront expense, which is considerable. 70 series landcruisers are ubiquitous out west. Easy to get parts and repairs. Do your wheel bearings, get a later model 70 with the V8 diesel if you can afford it. very frugal fuel economy if you can keep the speed down below 90kph. Note that diesel fuel is easier to get out west and a lot safer with the high temperatures.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2005/SSE-AD-5385781/?Cr=0

Not a 78-series, but the Landcruiser utility (tray) with a slide-on camper is a very popular and comfortable setup for touring. I know the people who put this outfit together and the workmanship and detail is excellent, and very well cared for. (I have no financial or other personal interest in the vehicle. I do know the seller has a genuine reason for selling the vehicle.)

Chris

EDIT: The vehicle sold for $65k

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly disagree. the duel cab is the most popular choice for touring followed by the troopy and then the wagon. single cab 70's are ubiquitous in Australia because of their application in farming. the duel cab has more overall capacity and better stability on hills and sand. I chocked when i read the price of that Ad. You could just about by a new V8 for that price. Better off getting a newer non specialized rig and a good camper trailer. much easier to drive off road, leave the trailer for day explorations, when you're done the rig and trailer will be easy as pie to sell. these are not a vehicle you want to drive on soft ground top heavy.

Gents thanks for all your responses. Seems most likely two routes are (1) bring my own 80 or (2) comedown and buy a nice 78 and get someone to put in the pop top. I will do some more digging, planning and thinking.
Cheers.

If you ship your own vehicle and stay less than 12 months, plus ship it out, you will be on a carnet so won't need to go through the local registration cost and process. This is a good thing as I'm shipping mine out to live and the 4WD rules for lifts and mods vary State by State. One thing I would say you'd need to check is the asbestos testing - if Border Force challenge you you will need to provide evidence there is none in your car. I know a place in the UK that does this.
I was speaking to my nephew in Oz this week and he says there are loads of 80s on the market so if the 70s are looking too expensive, do look at the 80s there too. In fact my nephew thought we were mad to ship ours - but it's set up the way we like it. Interestingly, the shipping side is not too expensive at the moment - cheapest it has ever been, until you hit the Australian wharf and start paying - kerrching.

Simon thanks. I will pm you. It would be great to compare notes on shipping to Oz. Thanks

Half decent Diesel 80 can be had for under 10K fairly easily.
Drop a few days and another $1500 or so on service & maintenance.
Add a fridge and a roof rack with roof top tent and your touring for sub 15k

Personally my Knees are rooted so a roof top isn't an option,
so I run a full 270 degree Darche awning and a double swag which works well if it's just the wife and I.

Back