Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question regarding the Injection pump on the V8?

Little Rascal

Hi All,
New here, I don't even own a Land cruiser as yet but I am looking at the V8 Amazon with interest.
At the moment I am running a Delica 2.8TD, lovely motor I have to say, really nice, spacious etc... and mine might even be higher then a cruiser as it got a little lift :icon-biggrin:

My main question is regarding the Injection pump on the cruiser V8 1999,2001 or 2002 , is it a fly by wire set up, the ECU telling the pump what to inject, or is it a mechanical pump?
I couldn't really find anything regarding on how the set up is :|

The reason is that I am into alternative fuel, I have been driving for years Diesel on WVO and its more then fine, but I am a little tired of the collecting, filtering process, transferring etc... Also WVO might not become as freely available in the future.
Then I am thinking getting a petrol engine and run it on Fumes or partially on Fumes, not sure yet.

I know there is a section on alternative fuel but its all diesel related as far as I could see ( mostly bio diesel, WVO, aircraft fuel... )and there was no point me posting about the fly by wire there anyway.

My concern about the ECU is, If I turn off the injection pump ( take the relay out or something similar) and run fumes through the intake, would the ECU fly by wire cut off the engine/ boost and no mateer how hard you prss the pedal, nothing is going to make the engine rev?
I use to own a merc fly by wire and it was a pain, if the ECU decided something was not right there was no way you could even move the car...

Hope you all have a great day :)

Thanks.
Little Rascal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi LR and welcome.

I've no idea what you mean by 'Fumes' but disconnecting anything to do with the ECU is going to end in an engine that won't go. It is not an injection pump, it will have a medium pressure (5 bar or so) fuel pump and injectors.
Many are LPG converted so that would be the way to go as long as there is valve oiling to prevent valve trouble. The system will be set up in a way that keeps the engine running normally. Simply admitting something into the air intake without fuel isn't likely to turn out well as mixtures will be all over the place and there will be no use of the injectors.

Best wishes and good luck with whatever you do.

Richard

Hi Richard,
Thank for the input. I am more familiar with Diesel, hence injection pump. I thought it was the same for petrol. Oopss...
Then this is just a fuel pump that push fuel into each injector but at low pressure if I got it correctly?
How does the throttle operate then? Is it fly by wire connected to the ECU that operate the opening of the air intake and the amount of fuel in each injector or its mechanical and the throttle cable mange the opening of the air intake directly?
By Fumes I could also have say petrol vapour or gas. I am not keen on the LPG, I had a lexus running it and there is really not much saving at all.
There is a lot about it especially accross the ponds where they use it on big guzzlers, but most are the old type with carburettor from what I can see. Its actually an efficient way of running a petrol engine.

They are fly by wire connected to the ECU and the ECU controls the opening of the air intake and injectors.

Humm, might be an issue there then, unless I get an LPG connections and push into the nozzle petrol fumes, which is LPG. I love non electronic controlled cars... The Delica is brilliant for this, if you are OK with a spanner you can do it all yourself, no electronics involved, well, the one I have, though, Mitsubishi did made an electronc injection pump Delica after 1997 :(

Thanks Jon :)

I think the V8 is a no go for what I want to do but I did some search and find this:
""I've owned two of these - one a GX (carb version) and one a GXL (EFi) - so not the VX variant. The GXL was pretty close - full-time 4wd, CDL, no front or rear lockers though. Had a free-flow stainless exhaust and I had it chipped too - used to go like the clappers - didn't help the consumption though""
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7381&sid=57459ea177f9f0a1e954517cefb05575

Now, can someone take my hand and lead me to what I need to look for for the Carb version? Is it just Amazon GX? Or 100 amazon GX, or something else?
I can do with a strait 6, I like that :)
So far on the GX I can only see diesel :(

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back