Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick Awning poll question - driver side or passenger side??

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
I am just about to put a new awning on an overlanding vehicle.....historically I have had it on the passenger side. But i am told by the awning supplier that 90% put it on the drivers side.
What do you guys think is most useful?
And may be why?
thanks

I sort of like the drivers side the best so I can see what I'm going to hit, even though mine is on the passenger side

Passenger side, only ‘cos the roof tent folds out over the driver’s side.

I know mine is home made.. but I put it on the passenger side. Served well the last 2 weeks and one more to go in France amid the heat wave

Instinctively I’d say the vast majority mount it on the left-hand side of the vehicle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Driver's side is the intelligent choice. IF you want to drive on the continent and use it for shade. Oooh it's lunch time, let's stop at the side of the road, stick the awning up and sit in the shade. Bugger, The awning opens into the traffic. Wish we'd put it on the opposite side.

End of. This also influences the choice of wheel carrier too. If you go driver's side then the wheel carrier swivel needs to be passenger side or else your spare will open right into the middle of your awning. Also this way you can keep your std UK fog light as it's not obscured. See, I've though this through. Now if you only holiday in the UK, then go passenger side.

Driver's side is the intelligent choice. IF you want to drive on the continent and use it for shade. Oooh it's lunch time, let's stop at the side of the road, stick the awning up and sit in the shade. Bugger, The awning opens into the traffic. Wish we'd put it on the opposite side.

End of. This also influences the choice of wheel carrier too. If you go driver's side then the wheel carrier swivel needs to be passenger side or else your spare will open right into the middle of your awning. Also this way you can keep your std UK fog light as it's not obscured. See, I've though this through. Now if you only holiday in the UK, then go passenger side.

This

Even in a layby next to the grass, there's going to be moving vehicles. Ok so you break down. Unlikely in a Toyota, but you can't choose where that happens. Again, really hot you need shade, oh damn, wrong side again.

Can always mount a straight out awning over the back. Always useful, easily deployed.

Depends which side you live out of. I live out of the passenger side when camped so on the rare occasion I put up the awning it’s on that side

Most of the people I’ve travelled with, with awnings have never deployed it for the trip when we’ve been moving on everyday

Last edited:
Assuming we are talking RHD vehicles then passenger side for us. But only because of the location of other amenities (water tap/ gas outlet/ stove etc). Also as Rich mentioned the roof tent folds down over the drivers side.

Depends where you plan on going, mostly UK trips then put it on the left but if going overseas more often put it on the right

Thanks all for your replies.
So it would seem consensus is to do it on the passenger side. This is where i have mine on the 80 and it works really well. The new one is LHD and yes will be mostly used in Europe/Americas so yes passenger side still makes sense.

@Chris yes good point on wheel swing out. In this case i have a dual wheel carrier so that could be an issue either way mmmm:neutral:. So no solution to that.

Thanks again.

Back