Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick Drain sump plugs

guruvetim

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Has anyone fitted one of these to their Cruiser?

Quick-Drain-Design-Staand-3.jpg

I guess for road use only the risk of damage is minimal but a friend of mine fitted one, not sure what make, to his car and it was OK at first but after a couple of oil changes the valve started to weep oil and leave annoying drips on his drive. He drained the oil and removed and flushed the valve but couldn't get it to fully seal so the old sump plug went back in. Is removing the old sump plug for an oil change really much of a chore?

Just noticed the price and i'm wondering if you could have a more user friendly stainless plug made for that .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, had one fitted for years, Off roaded it hard then fitted to the overlander, done Russia, Morocco. Never even scraped it. Driveway also oil free.

Different brand to the one shown and a slightly lower profile too with an external screw cap too.

I had one made by Fumoto on the Hilux, different design and an excellent bit of kit, have one on the Forester, again excellent.

Looked on the Fumoto website out of interest for the 120 and noted as not recommended for this vehicle, different sump arrangement on Hilux with same engine.
Remember on a 120 (don't know about the others) the oil pick up is just above the sump plug so every time you change the oil you can inspect the pick up filter for debris and possible carbonised oil (early warning of injector/seal issues), fitting a quick drain valve you'll lose that ability to check.

Yes but a different brand/ design. If your into incredibly serious of roading and you got unlucky you'll knock it, but I think for most of us they wont ever come close to being knocked. I guess the way to find out if to look at the bottom of your sump, ifs its dented and has scratch marks on it, then you probably shouldn't fit one...

Have you not got a steel sump cover!

I didn't give it much thought beyond why replace something recessed and unbreakable with something protruding and vulnerable just to save undoing one nut .

Might be handy in my boat though .

These are fitted to JCB's and the like where access is at arms length or by your pet octopus .... they are a slightly different design and have a cap that screws on as a safety feature ..... the only advantage I can see is you then have a long pipe to guide the oil into the drain can and not over the axle and belly plates....
Typically they drain slower than a normal sump plug and can't see the advantage of fitting to a Cruiser that already has good access ...
I can see the advantage of fitting a remote oil filter to a lot of modern vehicle though ....that's normally the pain to get to , especially if the machine has after market attachments.....

Back