Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

R.D.B (Rear Differential Broken)

chris lc90

my LC95 LSD 2 nights ago, met the Lord..
during a climbing crawling to a rolling stone-sharped area (not rocks that are steady to the earth) my crown-pinion teeths were dead.the car jump as a frog.i removed the axle so not to transfer the force from the knock to the transfer box.so i move with front wheel drive motion..also i loose all the quantity from the LSD oil..until now i havent checked if the shell is broken or the front flange..any links to buy?and what do you recommend? arb locker or LSD 50-50?
here is the sound of the broken crown-pinion (like a train to the tunel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1u3tls10No

Chris, that doesn't sound like a typical broken diff to me. OK, not saying that it isn't but generally the broken section on the gears is only part of the whole ring and pinion. Therefore you get normal drive then a horrendous crunching noise and then get drive again. You will only really know when you pull the diff out. It might be simpler to get a whole rear axle from somewhere or at least a whole diff.

Generally the carriers are very strong and don't need replacing. If you go with an ARB - (which I would recommend) it will need to be built up properly of course and you will still need all the major internal parts such as ring an pinion and bearings and bolts. It's not going to be a cheap repair I'm afraid.
But strip it first. That's all you can do. The ARB carriers are even stiffer than the original ones and cannot flex under extreme use. But as I said, setting up the pre loads etc is VERY important.

Chris

i dismantle the LSD and i found 13 teeths from crown broken and 1 from pinion.also the right hemishaft had problem.iam searching to install all the shaft complete but change the group with a ARB..costs for the ARB 1450 euro with thw installation.the price and the installation from the used axle not known yet..
the ratio was 4.3:1

http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71 ... %20pinion/

and here the last car at the end ..u can see and hear the broken LSD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV_Y4Ix9Uu0

Damn. Tough break.

C

that does look a bit chewed up...

good luck with the repairs

impressed by how rust free the axle and brake parts are - you don't get all the nasty salt and wet in Greece, that we get in UK and rotting the metal...

Chris said:
generally the broken section on the gears is only part of the whole ring and pinion. Therefore you get normal drive then a horrendous crunching noise and then get drive again. You will only really know when you pull the diff out. It might be simpler to get a whole rear axle from somewhere or at least a whole diff.

Chris

u 've got a point chris..after a better check (during daylight) i found corrosion to the surface of some teeths(most of them).it was at the first stage of rust..also rust found to the right side from the axle shaft housing(outer side of the oil seal)
also found that the surface from the teeth of pinion dont touch normally to the surface of crownwheel's teeth.didnt have the same glazing everywhere.
the price of one brand new toyota LSD carrier empty is 1440 euro..and the price of a brand new toyota 50-50 locker is 1359 euro..
do you believe that LSD carrier is more strong and have crashworthiness instead from the 50-50 locker?(because the LSD technology is more important and valuable than a normal simple diff that working to 50-50 after an electrical signal?)
what about TJM lockers? vs ARB?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
does anybody knows the diff ratio in europe? we have cars with auto transmission and cars with manual transmission.diesel cars and gasoline cars.and 2 ratio.. 4,1:1 and 4,3:1.
as u ll see here
http://www.4wdonline.com/Toyota/Prado/Prado.html
Toyota Prado 4x4
station wagon, 5 seats (+2), 4 doors, ABS + twin air-bag (+seat-belt pre-tensioners) optional
loa: 4730mm, width: 1730mm, height: 1865mm track: 1475mm/1480mm, grnd clearance: 230mm
turning radius: 5.7m (kerb)
weight: 1720kg - 1805kg (unladen), GVM: 2710kg, towing: 750kg (unbraked)
3.4L V6:
5VZ-FE, 3378cc, petrol, V6, efi, 4-valves/cyl, DOHC (per bank)
bore: 93.5mm, stroke: 82mm, c.r.: 9.6:1
transmission: 5m/4a, full-time 4WD, centre diff' lock
gear ratios 5m: 3.830:1, 2.062:1, 1.436:1, 1.000:1, 0.838:1 (4.22:1)
gear ratios 4a: 2.804:1, 1.531:1, 1.000:1, 0.753:1 (2.393:1)
transfer case: 1:1 (hi), 2.566:1 (lo); diff': 4.1:1 (rear LSD)
2.7L 4-cyl:
3RZ-FE, 2694cc, petrol, 4-cyl, efi, 4-valves/cyl, DOHC
bore: 95.0mm, stroke: 95.0mm, c.r.: 9.5:1
diff': 4.3:1 (rear LSD)
in which countries imports 4,3:1 ? and 4,1:1 ?

chris thanks for everything.. :thumbup: my new arb is already installed to a new rear axle housing with new hemishafts..

You're welcome. It was nice chatting it through. You didn't waste anytime getting that fitted. Hope you got a good price. Wait until you get out there with it, it's so much better then the LSD. Just remember that this part is so strong that you can put greater loads elsewhere on the drivetrain. Try not to bounce the front wheels off the ground with the rear locker engaged.

Chris

Chris said:
Just remember that this part is so strong that you can put greater loads elsewhere on the drivetrain. Try not to bounce the front wheels off the ground with the rear locker engaged.

Chris

I'll second that.... no bouncing otherwise it can all end in tears :violin:

Chris said:
You're welcome. It was nice chatting it through. You didn't waste anytime getting that fitted. Hope you got a good price. Wait until you get out there with it, it's so much better then the LSD. Just remember that this part is so strong that you can put greater loads elsewhere on the drivetrain. Try not to bounce the front wheels off the ground with the rear locker engaged.

Chris
u have right..its another car.. :thumbup:

prices: 900 euro the rear LSD axle complete (from germany)
with the original locker costs 1500 euro
and arb locker with the installation costs 1500 euro..
so totally costs 2400 euro

Back