Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Rack Mk 5 with some decking :)

Image0318.jpg

That looks good Jon - do you slide the trac-mats in from the side? And have you painted that ali profile?

The drivers side top tube has 2 removable sections so to remove the waffle boars I just twist those to unlock them and take them off so the waffles can be slid out. Yes I painted the top hats black to match :lol:

I put the Fox Wing on when I think I might need it but there's no point leaving it on all the time. At some point I'll have an experiment with bars and a sheet over the back as well for laning T breaks but that & the Fox Wing won't interfere with one another when packed away :)

The Rhino rack cross bars are really easy to bolt stuff to, so if I need a specific carrier function on the rack I'll just make something that bolts on :D I'll be adding a shovel mount to the rear most part of the rack soon that'll keep it just below the load level and I *may* put a Hi Lift on the front lower section again below the load level. The load deck is 1.4m x 1.8m but I don't have anything to put on it :lol:

That does look really good Jon. Laning with LB I soon discovered that the current roof rack is a bit high profile, as I end up with half the trees stuck in it :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
The Rhino rack cross bars are really easy to bolt stuff to
I was looking at that part of your rack - are they simply a 'box' section with a slot along its length into which effectively a tab washer slots? A bit like the channel section under a roof tent... Are they alloy or steel?

The Rhino HD bars are an aluminium H that you use standard channel nuts on :thumbup: The rails that the waffle boards sit on are suspended from the underside of the Rhino bars.

Waffle access with one of the tubes removed:
Image0322.jpg

The tube:
Image0323.jpg

Another view of the deck:
Image0325.jpg

You can see the tabs on the back tube that I'll run bar from across to the Rhino bar and then mount the shovel or whatever so it sits below the main deck level and doesn't interfere with anything longer than the rack.

It's all pretty low tech but it's doing what I want :D

So how have you attached your lower hoop of the rack, steel (?), to the Rhino section Jon?

Tabs off the tube that bolt to the underside of the Rhino bar:

Image0325b.jpg

The front most (4th) mount bolts to the roof where the OEM roof bars attach and then the other 3 fixing points are the Rhino cross bars.

It would be easier if there was a need for it. Makes it hard to design stuff when you're making up the reasons to have one as you go along :roll:

Jon Wildsmith said:
It would be easier if there was a need for it. Makes it hard to design stuff when you're making up the reasons to have one as you go along :roll:

Once I convince you to go to Morocco you may need it, 2011 you will be half way there just another 650 miles to go in 2012 then :mrgreen:

Nice rack btw :clap:

Not sure when I'll have more than 9.25 days in one chunk for exploring but it'll happen and then you can convince me to try Morocco at least once ;)

Two things I like about Jon's "Low Tech" custom roof rack.

1. It's low profile
2. It's vast (and secure) load area

A great area for transporting all of my lighting/background stands etc....

John

The Dark Dude

Has anyone here had any experience of or with one of the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390486656498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm going to getting back to work soon and as a event photographer, I'm going to be carrying alot of new stuff including 3mtr long vinyl backgrounds in rhino tubes, that I didn't carry before. Fitting a heavy duty roof rack seems like a really good way of utilising the available roof space of my LC100, so any and all opinions on this would be welcome.

John

Slightly cheaper (but with postage I dont know) here and a couple of other models. If you gert one, let me know as I am thinking of one as well.
Cheers
Steve

Steve

It's times like these when I really miss my wife. She was a fluent French speaker (and lover). Mind you, on second thoughts, like all wives, she would have told me to piss off and get real for even considering the purchase of such a thing. Alas, when the cats away.......

John

That rack is for cars with gutters John, you'd have to make legs and modify the rack to put it on your 100.

Back