Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator leaking?

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi I’ve got a small drip puddle under the front of my car - looks to be the side of the radiator, and is wet with what feels like coolant. Does that sound right if it’s coming from this part, and is this a drain valve, so possibly not tightened with an Allen key or a seal?

thanks

Attachments

• 114B22F9-9BD9-480C-A1C3-27053F16CD79.jpeg
    114B22F9-9BD9-480C-A1C3-27053F16CD79.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi Paul,

I think thats the air conditioning condenser rather than the cooling system radiator.

Is your AC working OK? If you dry it, does it still leak if your AC is off?

Don't know enough about AC to advise further I'm afraid but if its just a few drips of water when the AC is on and its a hot day, it might be normal.... See what the experts think.

Thanks karl

I’ve just had my air con pipes replaced (due to holes) and regassed yesterday so I thought it was working ok!!!

the liquid has a greasy feel rather than water so that’s what made me think coolant

That is your condenser and it should be dry. You could try nipping it up with a allen key. When I tried to change mine a few years ago, it was so tight I could not get it loose so much so things started bending, so I left as is....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha I’ve had most of the pipes in the system replaced over the last week so it wouldn’t be the only hole. There was 2 or 3 pipes that have had holes in them that my mechanic has replaced a pipe and then found the next one. This obviously didn’t show with the dye so hopefully it will be the last

That plug holds the drier package which pushes up inside when you put the plug in. The drier should be changed on regasing. If they removed the plug to change the drier packaged they should have cleaned the inside of the tube to ensure the seal would seal. Seal is a side set o ring and tightening won't make it seal any better. If you have no dye dripping out you should be ok.

I agree with frank rabbets, when they changed the drier, some oil got out and that is why it is looking so wet and oily... try to clean it with brake cleaner and you will see if it is still leaking... and also you can check it with UV torch after this cleaning... and be very careful with tightening this plastic plug, it is quite soft and gets damaged very easily...

Thanks both. Will try with brake cleaner but I’m certain there is still a small dot under the car on a morning.

Then really try this UV ligh torch, this will show you where the leak is... Maybe it is just the damaged plug or the sealing there and it needs to be replaced - I got a spare one also from aluminium... I liked it more than this plastic one...

Back