Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radio USA versus Europe

Franky

Country Flag
netherlands
Hello out there,

Toyoata Landcruiser 100. Year 10.2002

This car is originally from Calafonia (USA) and imported to the Netherlands (Europe). I need to replace the radio because the American radio frequency is different to European radio. For example the USA radio does not receive frequency 92,8. Only 92,7 or 92,9. So not the even digits. As the radio search function is operated via the touchscreen, as-well as the Airco / Heating system, I believe I need to replace the total unit. I have attached pictures of existing unit and the desired unit I think I need.

Can anybody help me?
Looking forward to interesting ideas.
Regards,
Frank

Attachments

• Current unit.jpeg
    Current unit.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Desired unit.jpeg
    Desired unit.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 101
First, you can't go from "Current" to "Desired" without a major rebuild, because you have a 2003-onwards version (8/2002), while the "desired" version is the 1998-2002 version. (Which really is desired, because it really was much easier and safer to use, and easy to upgrade)

One way to go is to get hold of the HVAC-control-parts from a version without integrated navigation, and thereby be able to fit any modern radio/navi head unit.
Another way is to change out the whole unit with some Android unit which can handle both functions, e.g. like described in one of these mud threads:

Thanks uHu,

Thanks a lot. Very good comment and information / possibilities.
I know a company who has already changed the electronic (touchscreen) climate control to conventional knob system. Furthermore they replaced the original touchscreen by a Carplay screen system . Therefore I am looking for "desired" version and surely do not need the radio.

ZhiFang 12.1 This all looks wonderful but is Android and I need OIS (Apple).

ZhiFang 12.1 This all looks wonderful but is Android and I need OIS (Apple).
I think you'll find that they all support CarPlay and IOS Mirror Link.

But, if you can get a solution with physical buttons, it will be the best. Having to look at any kind of display in order to find a button, or to see what setting you are on, is a not a good solution when you are responsible for driving a car. In a "self driving" Tesla you have some assistance, but when your windows are fogging up while there is one car from the right, and one overtaking, and you are late for kindergarten, it's not a good idea to look down on your screen. The 2003 onwards LC100 without hvac-integrated navi is not much better either, as there are only push-buttons, and no tactile feedback. Except for the rotary temp setting, where you are supposed to get 1/2 a degree per notch. For the mode button, you actually have to look down at a tiny, grey, display, in order to find out which mode the hvac is set to.
The Pre-2003 version with the three big rotary buttons is really one of the best user interfaces for hvac controls ever, as you can feel what setting you have, without having to look down there at all. It will be in your fingers after a week. I haven't heard of anyone managing to graft it into a post 2002 version though. Presumably there were changes to the signalling or ECU, apart from the changes to the shape and size of the dashboard.

This might be useful as well:

You won't be able to get the "desired" version with the rotary controls, because it is pre-facelift and there are signalling differences. What you can get is the button controls:

img_20180119_133109-jpg.1615195

Replacing all the bits and pieces from a touchscreen to buttons with a conventional 2 DIN slot is about $1500 in new parts. This includes the AC ECU, some control boards, brackets, the side panels, the AC controls themselves and a few other bits and pieces. Hard to get them second hand locally as there were barely any such models in Europe.
A cheaper option is to try to get the needed parts from a wrecker in Dubai or Australia (works, but buttons and knob are mirrored). Lots of parts involved, so there is a big chance to get sent the wrong or missing parts.
I have been considering this for close to two years now, but so far I am making do with a phone mount on the windshield and a BT transmitter replacing the CD changer..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It sounds very complicated.

I think I'm going to stick with the old school cruisers.. :think:

Thanks uHu and IvanD for all the information.
  1. I will not consider the ZhiFang 12.1 anymore. Too much risk and does not look nice on a 100 beautiful old school car.
  2. I would like to know the headunit article number of the "Desired"unit. If I can buy this secondhand I will replace the radio by a Alpine ILX-702D. The touchscreen hvac controls will be transferred by a company I know who has done this before.
In the meantime I cannot use the USA radio in The Netherlands. Therefore I will buy
  1. Categorie:Bluetooth carkits
    Merk:THB Bury
    Model: BUR-CC9068BT
    EAN: 4023032187743
    To control this unit via the steering wheel I need an interface, anybody an idea?

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions!

Attachments

• Desired unit.jpeg
    Desired unit.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 84
Thanks uHu and IvanD for all the information.
  1. I will not consider the ZhiFang 12.1 anymore. Too much risk and does not look nice on a 100 beautiful old school car.
  2. I would like to know the headunit article number of the "Desired"unit. If I can buy this secondhand I will replace the radio by a Alpine ILX-702D. The touchscreen hvac controls will be transferred by a company I know who has done this before.
In the meantime I cannot use the USA radio in The Netherlands. Therefore I will buy
  1. Categorie:Bluetooth carkits
    Merk:THB Bury
    Model: BUR-CC9068BT
    EAN: 4023032187743
    To control this unit via the steering wheel I need an interface, anybody an idea?

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions!
Hi Frank, just wondering how you got along with the conversion? I have just got a 2006 LC100 with the same challenge and I'm keen to go down the same route as you....

You won't be able to get the "desired" version with the rotary controls, because it is pre-facelift and there are signalling differences. What you can get is the button controls:

img_20180119_133109-jpg.1615195

Replacing all the bits and pieces from a touchscreen to buttons with a conventional 2 DIN slot is about $1500 in new parts. This includes the AC ECU, some control boards, brackets, the side panels, the AC controls themselves and a few other bits and pieces. Hard to get them second hand locally as there were barely any such models in Europe.
A cheaper option is to try to get the needed parts from a wrecker in Dubai or Australia (works, but buttons and knob are mirrored). Lots of parts involved, so there is a big chance to get sent the wrong or missing parts.
I have been considering this for close to two years now, but so far I am making do with a phone mount on the windshield and a BT transmitter replacing the CD changer..
Hi Ivan, have you got any closer to considering this build? I'd love to get the physical buttons and a double din in my 2006 LC100

Back