Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rally Support 90

majic79

So I've got myself a Landcruiser 90, it's primary use is to tow the rally car to/from trackdays and rallies, and with that in mind I want to kit it out with some not-too-intrusive extras.

As I normally go in convoy, probably put a CB in there, but also thinking (after reading some posts on here) that an air-compressor might be nice - handy to pump up tyres etc!

Winch - has anyone fit a hydraulic winch to a 90?

Kettle - always nice to be able to make a brew, 12v kettle? Or shall I just get a trangia?

More power - well, I'll probably get a tune-it box or similar after chrimbo, but also thinking an intercooler would be handy - I have one lying around that was fitted to my Supra, but then the question is about boost pressures - what sort of boost does a TD run at?

hello majic79
so tell us what year is the cruiser? d4d or the earlier kzte engine?
im not to wel up on the boost end of things but id imagine if you have the d4d that you will find it up to the job without many improvements needed! someone on here will be able to enlighten you about the boost im sure! yes an air compressor is very handy, i use a small T-max one with crocadile clips on the battery but planning to get it wired into the rear of the jeep. Considering a winch atm myself but going electric, probably 9500lbs will suit me fine, 12v plug in kettle would work ok but i have a kampa camping cooker that folds up like a little briefcase and gas bottle which i find perfect for boiling water or cooking up something quick out of the rear of the cruiser!
will watch this thread for any updates on your engine power plans!

Welcome along. No idea on turbo stuff, but for a little boiler you can't go far wrong with a JetBoil. Really really good but of kit.

it's a 97 1kz-te, been eyeing up some of the electric compressors, but saw a thread about one that's about the size of an aircon compressor with a small reservoir mounted in the back - looks like a good idea for a service vehicle

was hoping that there might be something out there not gas based to boil water with - might just pick up a Coleman sportster (any liquid fuel) or use a general purpose gas stove

Your 90 could very easily tow a single decker bus so why not just upgrade your trailer to include a generator , compressor , kitchen sink , oven , kettle , shower , double bed etc etc etc oh dont forget to leave space on the back for your rally car lol .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yeah, I'm not buying a trailer - just hiring a car transporter trailer as required - I'm thinking more like an overland build but geared towards supporting me in rallies, or for marshalling on events

Get a Kelly Kettle; burns on sticks (and rubber...) and boils quicker than a Trangia or a Gas stove, not as quick as a Jet Boil or an MSR.

Kelly Kettle

I collect birch bark as and when I find it, and store it in the house to dry it out, and then normally as I'm paddling down the river fish bits of dry wood out of the trees for it. It burns dry sticks best, but the heat is normally enough to dry most stuff out once it's going.

Nothing to suggest for the 90 though...

I like the idea of a york style aircon compressor, feeding a small tank (looking around, a small air reciever from a range rover p38 that's normally used for the air suspension might do the job of a receiver tank?)

I've got expensive hobbies, want this to be as cheap as possible!

Back