Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Random people asking if you would like to sell your LC

Rob

Garage
So I was out side trying to jump start my 80, and this guy pulls up and asks if I want to sell it for export. This has happened to me twice in the last month, once here and once in Mongolia (not the jump starting bit). How many times has this happened to you?

I recently had a Royal Mail delivery man asking if I wanted to sell :shock: , I said you couldn't afford it :hand: . Well, you get attached to the darlings :angelic-cyan: don't you :lol:
Chas

I was approached by a chap (i can only assume for export) when I was down in Lincoln asking me if I was interested in selling my Hilux. I said anything is for sale at the right price but he couldn't afford it either :lol:

twice, once driving through Birmingham and at some traffic lights a guy winds his window down and asks if I want to sell my 80, then again failry recently a guy pulls up outside my house and asks if I want to sell my 100 (I'd only had it about 4 months at the time too). Didn't like the look of the second guy, glad I have locking electric motorised gates that I can always keep locked.

This has happened to me loads of times over the years,blokes in transits with upvc guttering or tree surgery on them knocking on the door on a sunday morning,in petrol stations,supermarket car parks etc etc.I always tell em she aint for sale at any price!!!!.

cheers Gary

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
almost completed a deal on mine for a very good price, but the bloke got cold feet at the last minute. He'd stuck a note under my windscreen wiper.

Had it once with this while out green laning. Chap in a jeep said he'd been looking for a 70 for ages but plumped for the cherokee after an unsuccessful search. Used to get it loads with my mk1 VW Caddy which I had before this. It more than tripled in value while I had it :mrgreen:

Frequently get comments about the cruiser. Couple of guys have approached me with their sales for export business card.

Recently on a dull evening I assembled all the invoices. Put a price on the old girls head and posted it on a Belgian 4x4 forum. Shouldn't have done that. All sorts of weird and wonderfull replies.

I guess we all have problems quantifying anothers passion. Wouldn't dream of paying top dollar for one of those gastronomic evenings when you can fling some premium beef in the pan with some decent greens and wine for far less.

I've had it for times in 5 or 6 years. First time was the Toyota dealer in Northampton... I serviced my 4.7 100 series there shortly after getting it, about a week later they called me and told me they had a buyer for it. Some time after that I was in a parts shop and a guy offered me £15k (2k more than I had originally paid). Next time was with my 4.2 100 series about a year ago - guy walking past my drive and then one of the guys in the local body shop earlier this year (not sure if he was joking though!).

My Fj40
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-te ... tty-9.html

first day on the road drove it to a friends and on the second day to pick up fence panels (finally some useful work from it)--bloke was kinda hinting about price, then again got a few around when I took it to get painted. probably because it has a bad rattle can olive drab paint job on it and it is different--no-one understands the £10k or so I put in it doing the frame off build and who can count the hours?

Only way I could let her go one day is maybe for a trade for something similar built by someone who has also put the blood, sweat, & tears into their rig

Fortunately soon she will look a little more presentable on the outside too!

BTW---anyone know of a 12-HT/h55 for sale :shifty: :shifty:

Er, about 4 times a year when I lived somewhere else in Bristol, usually its labourers, Irish guys, or gyppos, not within the last year though as I'm somewhere else now - I just get broken into more often... so when I buy replacements I usually buy more than two...
cheers
Renate

Happened to me in Glasgow at a set of traffic lights and I had only had my cruiser for a month. After that I keep the windows closed :D

Just happened again today. A van pulled up at the bottom of the drive (which got my attention) and a guy walked up, as soon as he opened his mouth it was clear that he was a traveller. "you wanna sell the LC boss!" Let's hope he doesn't come back with a low loader :D

nathanrobo said:
Just happened again today. A van pulled up at the bottom of the drive (which got my attention) and a guy walked up, as soon as he opened his mouth it was clear that he was a traveller. "you wanna sell the LC boss!" Let's hope he doesn't come back with a low loader :D

I had the same experience, guy stops outside and says do you want to sell the Landcruiser, I said you having a laugh mate it's a Surf.

Yes my dad had the same when he had he's lj70. and they was obviously do as ya likeys offering peanuts so we just laughed at them. once they went we put extra security on it.

Joe

Visiting in Leicester and bloke rings the doorbell. I answer and he says "you want to sell the landcruiser?". I say no and he says "here's my card for when you change your mind." He gives me a card which only has a first name and a mobile number Peter 07717371150 "wanted cars and commercials". Then it said damaged/non-runners/MOT failures/4WD........I've got a few dings but didn't know it looked THAT bad :think: . He wasn't overly friendly and seemed put out that i wouldn't sell there and then.

Not had offers to buy the cruiser from me but i have bought quite a few other cars that way either knocking on the door of the house and explaining or leaving a card tucked into the window just above the door handle.

The odd house too come to that.

And a night club.

Man knows no shame....

Only once, when I was towing a mate's beemer up an icy road during 'that' week. Bloke rushed out his house and everything :)

Going down park lane I had someone at the lights ask me where I bought the BFGs from!

This has happened a couple of time with my Vauxhall Frontera LPG. The last time was on Tottenham High Street, outside the local Aldi and it was one of the most unnerving things to have happened to me for a very, very long time. The whole experience was creepy and set both my wife and I on edge for days after.

John

Back