Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ratchet Straps - what to get?

Andrew Prince

I'm going to put in an order to Damar for some ratchet straps and looking at their website, the options are endless loop, claw hook or delta ring end fittings and they will do them in lengths from 3-8m. I'm thinking of getting a selection but wondering what combinations to go for.

My current thoughts are to get
- 1 x 8m with claw hooks (can't see what I'd use an 8m endless strap for but with claw hooks it could be used as a light duty winching system)
- a couple of medium length (say 4m) endless and claw hooks for general use.
- a couple of 3m (shortest) endless straps for general use inside the truck.

I'm thinking of the 25mm wide 1.5t straps - I'd like them to be as strong as possible but the 50mm wide ones might be unwieldy in strapping things down in tight spaces. :think:

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions or comments on what I should go for? Any particular configuration that people have found to be a life-saver/must-have?

Cheers,

They are so cheap in the 25mm form, why not get two of each and with the one that you want to use for light winching I'd suggest getting a 10Ton 75mm wide 8m one (some thing that Damar no longer list). I suggest the 75mm 10Ton one as the ratchet handle is longer than on the 5Ton version thus giving better mechanical advantage when using for light hand winching :)

I've seen large Ratchet straps in use for a quick winching solution and they are very effective :thumbup: In fact myself and my m8 Giles had a very long discussion on the CB's while on our way home from laning with Ben in and around Shropshire last weekend and one of our topics of discussion was how when doing the lane known as the 'Bastard' that although winches were used a Ratchet strap would been very effective and quicker to deploy :)

edit - With regards the length, why not go long (again not a huge cost difference between the lengths) and then just cut them to a length to suit your own requirements :thumbup:

Here's a link to a thread going into what I bought from Damar the last time I placed an order and why. I been happy with all that I bought and have not yet needed anything longer, this is not all I own but is the majority of my straps etc. I also have a couple of 25mm Ratchet straps with plastic coated hooks on each end that have been used an awful lot as well as the endless loop ones :)

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8877

Thanks, Steven :thumbup: I had a look at that post of yours earlier.
Just to clarify, I am not looking for a ratchet strap to use as a light hand winch but was thinking what use I might have for a very long ratchet strap. A 75mm ratchet strap is not going to have much utility other than as a light hand winch - in that case I'd rather have a proper hand winch. Having said that the 50mm/5 ton ratchet strap comes in a 20m length for very little money. Seems worth having one "just because" even if it spends it life in the shed :lol:

Good point on the length - better to have them too long than too short ;)

Has anyone used the d ring versions? Are they especially useful?

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Thanks, Steven :thumbup: I had a look at that post of yours earlier.
Just to clarify, I am not looking for a ratchet strap to use as a light hand winch but was thinking what use I might have for a very long ratchet strap. A 75mm ratchet strap is not going to have much utility other than as a light hand winch - in that case I'd rather have a proper hand winch. Having said that the 50mm/5 ton ratchet strap comes in a 20m length for very little money. Seems worth having one "just because" even if it spends it life in the shed :lol:
That's a very good point :mrgreen:

Andrew Prince said:
Has anyone used the d ring versions? Are they especially useful
I have a couple of each of the endless ones, the plastic coated hook ones and the claw ones and have never felt the need to own the 'D' Ring version :) I'd even say that the Claw ones I have get very little use compared to the endless loop ones and the coated hook ones :)

Back