Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Re-sealing my hubs

joan

Country Flag
united_states
I'm currently working on fixing my leak going on on my drivers side rear wheel, so I'm replacing the seals in the hub and I want to know what greases/ fluids to use. I want to know what grease is best for packing my bearings and for greasing the seals. Also what fluid to use to fill up my diff. Any suggestions would be super useful, and any tips you guys might have for me going into this project

No need for anything special at all. Regular diff oil in the rear axle as per the handbook (80/90 here in the UK) and just general lithium bearing grease in the bearings. OK sure you can get good quality and cheap rubbish, but in terms of type there's really nothing special required. No need to contact NASA.

If you really want tog et all of the dregs out of the axle housing, it's worth tipping the truck one side at a time (with the jack of course) to empty out the axle tubes. But you'll rarely get all of it out. If it's been really badly contaminated I will run a wash through it. So fill and run for a bit then change it after a few miles and re fill. More relevant to the front diffs to be fair but it all depends how the oil comes out when you first drain it.

Ok, good to know, thanks. Just wanna be careful going into a project like this that I've never done before. If I run into any problems I'll probably be back on here haha

That's why we're here. The rear hub 'nuts' can be a bit baffling if you've not seen them before but it depends on which axle type you have. The factory service manual is really helpful if you don't already have a copy

Back