Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Real Time Geo-Location Blogging without an Internet Connection

Leigh

I was recommended a Spot Connect by someone on this website in place of a satellite phone for our trip across Central Asia. The device has turned out to be great and, for those blogging and gadget lovers, it offers the neat side feature of allowing you to publish tracking data in real time (i.e., you do not have to download the location data from your device and then upload it the next time you are at your computer or with an internet connection). There are some significant limitations. For example, (i) the Spot servers can only maintain a maximum of 50 data points at a time (if you update every 10 minutes that's about 8 hours of tracking); and (ii) it only allows you to publish the data for 7 days. I spent many unsuccessful days googling to see whether I could identify another service that would overcome these issues. Exhausted, I set about designing and coding a solution that would allow a user to: (i) publish their location live to a blog without the need for any form of data connection or device (other than the Spot service); (ii) publish a virtually unlimited number of data points to their google map; (iii) retain their data points on a google map for the entire period of their subscription. I have started testing the above in the last week or so with a view to making it available to others at a small cost in about a month or so.

If anyone has a Spot Device (or is in the process of purchasing one) and would be interested in participating in Beta testing, I would love to hear from you. Similarly, if anyone has any suggestions for features along the lines of the above that they would be interested in, then let me know those too. Ultimately, the goal is to make setting up a live geo-location tracking as easy and cheap as possible.

sounds intersting,
heading on trip to Europe in 7 weeks time, and as usual will be using my SPOT tracker.
so yse could be interested in testing this website

how did you get on with battery usage on your connect? I have heard the batteries can run-down quite fast,
where as my normal SPOT can go for a month or more on the same batteries

The battery life seems to be holding up fine, Andy. We have used it for 3 weeks now without changing the battery - we only have it on while travelling and switch it off while in camp. Will let you know how long until a battery change is required.

If you PM me the link to your Spot Adventures shared page(s), I can provide you with a test feed that you can use for your Google Map which will auto-update as you go and will retain the data for longer than the 7 day maximum.

Andy

The battery reported that it was low after about 3 weeks of use. I was using the type that are used for digital cameras. We used it for about 8 hours of tracking each day then sent a check in message and then switched it off (and repeated each day). I have a charger and will just keep recharging as we head across to Asia - if we get three weeks of battery life I will be pretty happy.

I've started a vague blog (www.londontomelbourne.com) that we are trying (but failing) to update relatively frequently. You can see the way it tracks on the route so far page.

Leigh

Sounds good. Have you got link to this spot, is it the one that connects to a mobile so you can send texts via satellite

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Funny, Ive heard dreadful things about happyspamminglife, not the least the way they spam forums.

Cover blown dude !

:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Leigh,

I followed a blog by a chap called Ralph Hardwick, I will see if I can find a link to his site, he's been using spot for a couple of years - it was so good I kept zooming in on google earth and was surprised I couldnt see his truck on it !

Its on my list of wants, but not near the top yet.

Cheers

Pete

I seem to have been missing some notifications about this and have several messages on the topic (I will have to go through my settings and figure it out!).

Anyway, for those interested, I set up a system that gets around the 7 day issue and allows you to add the mapped real-time data to your blog (apologies for what may appear as shameless self promotion). The site is www.mapmytrip.net.au. If you are interested in an example, we have used it for our London to Melbourne (www.londontomelbourne.com/the-route-so-far/). I am happy to give those interested in the near future free use of the service for a reasonable period (a few weeks?) to test and decide if it is useful for them.

If you send me a message I will respond ASAP but am about to set off (on Tuesday) on the Pamir Highway so may not have too much reception for the next week or so.

Hopefully that assists.

Leigh

Hi Leigh.
Followed the thread with interest as well as your overland adventure. We setting off in July for Sydney and interested in your Spot Connect tracking.
Best to pm you?
Andy

Thanks Andy

Glad you've been following the trip - we are in Malaysia right now and have just gone through the ordeal of shipping the vehicle
to Australia! If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will set you up an account on www.mapmytrip.net.au and can answer any other queries you might have.

Thanks

Leigh

Back