Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Real world V8 running costs?

Imotepify

Country Flag
england
Hi guys, I'm trying to buy a LC and can't decide between an 80 or the 100 I have found a nice V8 100 series but wondering how much (as a rough guide) these cost to drive per 100 miles?

I don't do a lot of miles so would be a weekend/leisure truck.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Karl.

From what I can gather the V8 100 is a little more economical than the 80 4.5. its infinatly more comfortable with more gizmos but more complex if things go wrong.

I don't do a lot of miles so would be a weekend/leisure truck.

The thing is that when you start driving it, the grins per mile means that you will use the truck in preference to anything else.

If you’ve found a good one, a drive will probably convince you to buy it! It’s a newer model, the evolution of the 80 series so, as Andy has pointed out it will be more complex with more electronics etc but it makes even a good 80 feel almost agricultural by comparison. The few owners I spoke to when I was considering one said you can get MPG nearer 20 than 10 or even a little more if you baby the throttle but don’t kid yourself, you’ll not be driving it like that for long.

If you’ve found a good one, a drive will probably convince you to buy it! It’s a newer model, the evolution of the 80 series so, as Andy has pointed out it will be more complex with more electronics etc but it makes even a good 80 feel almost agricultural by comparison. The few owners I spoke to when I was considering one said you can get MPG nearer 20 than 10 or even a little more if you baby the throttle but don’t kid yourself, you’ll not be driving it like that for long.

This is the thing, it would be my only vehicle other than using the wife's cooper s and I do tend to go for a drive just for the fun of it and with the bonus of a V8 I think I will use if more than ever.

I'm not one to worry about mpg but dont really want the wife complaining lol

Having said that I think she will want to drive it as much as me, we both miss our old Hilux surf and have decided an LC is the way to go, just a matter of choosing the right one.

I might get the owner to forward a video of it running so you guys can see if anything sounds strange.

Thanks again, Karl.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having said that I think she will want to drive it as much as me,

When I bought my 1st Landcruiser in 97 my then wife said " I'll not be driving that, its too big". After she had the first drive I rarely saw it again. Of the 100K it covered in "our" ownership I bet she drove 90 of it.

When I bought my 1st Landcruiser in 97 my then wife said " I'll not be driving that, its too big". After she had the first drive I rarely saw it again. Of the 100K it covered in "our" ownership I bet she drove 90 of it.

Ha ha, sounds familiar, like when we had our surf.

She's never taken to my Subaru forester STI or the BMW 335d that I have now but I know the 100 will be a different story once she's had a drive lol

Dont worry about the MPG Karl, Its a big 4x4 whatever you get, Doesn't really matter if its a 80 or a 100 or a Range Rover, Diesel or Petrol, Its not going to be Super Economy,..... Just buy what you fancy and enjoy it.. I wish i could get back every £ that iv spent on sticking Fuel in a 4x4.... I wouldn't even think about it mate, Enjoy it :thumbup:

I'm not worried about the mpg just wanted a rough guide tbh and wouldn't get a RR as the reliability would be a concern lol

can't wait to get one and enjoy the big V8 have found one I'm a lil bit in love with but not sure if we can travel with his things are it's about 3 hours from here.

NO! Don't buy a Range Rover..... It was just another example of a big thirsty 4x4.... Mind you for that Brief moment they do run, There is no comfier place to be.... But Briefly :lol:

I'm not worried about the mpg just wanted a rough guide tbh and wouldn't get a RR as the reliability would be a concern lol

can't wait to get one and enjoy the big V8 have found one I'm a lil bit in love with but not sure if we can travel with his things are it's about 3 hours from here.
Just promise us you’ll look underneath ok!! Many are horrendously eaten by rust.

Screenshot_20200429-231541_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200429-231528_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200429-231541_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200429-231556_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200429-231609_Samsung Internet.jpg

He has sent me a few pics, what do you guys think?

Doesn't look to bad to me but I'm no expert lol

Doesn't look too bad to me either but it needs a better examination than that. Its not usually the chassis which is the problem, more the tinwork. Sills and round the rear body mounts especially and areas near the seat belt mounts.

... a good 80 feel almost agricultural by comparison. ...
Most definately, I think the 100 series and 120 series (for the Prado) was when they seemed much less agricultural and much more like a big car.

And for fuel consumption, newer will probably be better with the comparable displacement, but really if it's just the odd weekend then it doesn't matter as much as a daily driver. Such a shame we can't use the 87c/l petrol we have here now, my Prado was last filled up with it was 170c/l!

As Andy Says, The Chassis normally hold up really well, From looking at the pictures iv seen hell of a lot worse, But be aware of whats hidden, He seems to have taken the photos around the same area,.... Check the sills, Cross members, Front wing ends are prone, around the indicator/light unit. Iv seen some shocking sites once the spare wheel has been Dropped... Just have a real good look when you view, Take your overalls and have a good roll around underneath..Some of us on here are lucky enough to have the Tools and Knowledge to sort most things ourselves, Getting the local garage/mechanic/ Welder to sort things gets expensive... What Year is it?.....Dont be put off, it looks pretty good under there to be honest of whats been shown... Where are you in the UK, I know we are in Lockdown but someone might take a look for you if its Local.. PS The first 3 photos are of the exact same place :lol: ....

Last edited:
The LC is Southampton and I'm up near Newmarket so about 3 hour drive each way...nothing really. Just the lockdown and I don't want to be one of those taking no notice lol

Having said that I've missed out on 1 truck because someone else wasn't worried about the lockdown.

I will ask for a few more pics in the areas you guys mentioned above.

It's a 1999 reg and has 92,000 miles on it not even run in by Toyota LC standards :)

A few more he has sent these I think are where the sill meets the rear arch?

Screenshot_20200430-082335_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-082318_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-082304_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-082248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Could you get a local mechanic or your motor organisation (RAC etc) to do an inspection for you?

Back