Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear axle seals

Luvtravelling

Country Flag
australia
I have just replaced rear wheel bearings and axle seals on my cruiser, it has done 200 k Kilometres, however the seals have both leaked again within 7 k Kilometres, the mechanic replaced both again and on my next trip they leaked again, the breather is clear has anyone had this problem before on their 100 series? I am at a loss as to what could be the problem, my truck tows a van but does very little off road work these days.

I've replaced mine a couple of times and they still leak :icon-rolleyes:. If I run the truck along a side slope I get oil on the handbrake shoes.

Have you replaced the collars on the half shafts that the inner seals run on ?? Its a pain of a job and getting them in the right place can be tricky if you didn't mark the shaft s before pressing off the old ones. The seals can wear grooves in the collars, causing them to leak.

I'll need to strip mine out again and have another go at it.

From distant memory - I think the ABS Sensor rings have to come off as well, they are pressed on to a tapered section of the shaft and you can 'overdo it' if not careful. Guess how I know :icon-exclaim:.

DSCN3466.JPG

DSCN3467.JPG

Bob.

Yes I have replaced the collars and the second time moved them slightly so as to ensure the seal was central on the collar. I have had a suspension upgrade on mine with 400 Kg springs on the rear due to a long range fuel tank, rear bar with two spare wheels and a draw system with fridge in the back. I also tow a 20 ft caravan, my concern is that maybe the rear axle housing has distorted !!

I doubt its distorted as the weight is taken via the springs (& AHC rams ?) at the outer edges of the axle.

Unless you've been clattering down a rocky slope with numerous drops - which sounds unlikely from your description.

The seals are 'double lip seals' so should work to keep the oil in and the water out but the steel carrier should be facing the outside. How did your Mechanic fit them ?

Bob.

Yes the seals do have the metal carrier facing the outside, my mechanic assured me the breather was clear, but all signs and symptoms suggest it’s blocked, I removed it from the housing and blew through it and it definitely had some resistance, I have jiggled the breather cap and freed it right up and there is now no resistance at all I can blow through it easily, I am hoping this may fix it but I will have to do a few kilometres and warm the diff up to see if the problem is solved, I will also be questioning my mechanic as to how he determined the breather was clear !!
Cheers
Noel

Back