Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
Just noticed this on Ebay and one of the images shows a rear single spare wheel carrier, which looks like it's been fitted to the standard 80 Series rear bumper.

The problem is, the photo is not brilliant and looks a bit like a home build, but does anyone know if this is actually an 'off the shelf' item?
Cheers.

Id say that's a home build. It doesn't look like its on the bumper, more like its its welded to the towing point - not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Depends on how well its been done I guess.

Bit pricy though in my opinion.

I think I'd agree with you there Nick £££'s..... I did wonder if it is, or was someone's on here?
It took my interest, because being on 35's, ideally I want to get that heavy spare off the roofrack!...... and the rear swing arm bumpers are 2 limbs!!

I have seen a detachable swing away rear wheel mounts in Oz. they bolt on to the inside of the factory towbar channel with two bolts into the rear crossmember where the pre tapped holes are. Really neat solutuion and take it off when you are not touring. Make it from Alloy RHS and whats not to like...

I have seen a detachable swing away rear wheel mounts in Oz. they bolt on to the inside of the factory towbar channel with two bolts into the rear crossmember where the pre tapped holes are. Really neat solutuion and take it off when you are not touring. Make it from Alloy RHS and whats not to like...

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking of, Kaymar still do one, but not for the 80 anymore!. I don't suppose you can remember which company? Cheers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I photographed one on a carpark somehwere once and must look for the photo. There could be some on the ih8mud forum You could easily do it with a tapered trailer axle. I think the cross member was from C channel and there was just a rubber spacer to keep it deflecting forward onto the rear bumper & it was quite simple.

I made one once using a trailer hub. It snapped like a carrot. Just not quite man enough for that application. Not saying it was the same design of course, but I was surprised that it failed. Having a wheel mounted on the hub is a whole different set of forces to having an arm hanging off it with a wheel on the end of it.

I photographed one on a carpark somehwere once and must look for the photo. There could be some on the ih8mud forum You could easily do it with a tapered trailer axle. I think the cross member was from C channel and there was just a rubber spacer to keep it deflecting forward onto the rear bumper & it was quite simple.

If you do find the photo, would certainly appreciate it. Cheers.

If I'm honest Chris, that's really my main concern..... the loading stresses on just one side of the chassis if I don't go for the full steel bumper!

Seeing what you did Chris, I still keeping wondering whether there is still a possibility (unlikely I know!) to have one fabricated cost effectively!?!. The problem is virtually all the old jobbing shop/fabricators in this neck of the woods have shut up shop! and the few that remain, now portray themselves as Formula 1 experts!!
I do have a beer now and again with a guy who I've been told, is a top notch fabricator/welder and often thought to ask him......but is anyone aware of any patterns you buy 'off the shelf' or on-line for the 80 series steel rear swing arm & front winch bumpers?

I don't know if these pics would be any help, its a TJM wheel carrier my mistake but I hadn't seen it for a good few years.
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

I don't know much about it, I bought it off a forum member years ago and forgot about it till this thread came up.

You need not only a proper pin, but something very solid to mount it into. Slee in the US do make and sell pins like these. (See pic below) I've just made and sole three to members. There is a lot of work and cost to them and frankly at what I sold them at, no profit for me either. That's the problem with small quantity niche stuff.

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 17.51.06.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 17.50.19.jpg

Like it...... what I also like, is that you've made it so the spare wheel is sloping in with the window and nice and tight to the body. Did you eventually get the bumper back on?
Getting a fabricator to do something like that might be the way forward. Are they 37s on there? Cheers.

No I’ve never got round to refitting the bumper, although it was designed to do so and wouldn’t take much work.

Yes is holding a ’heavy’ 37 (Michelin XZL). The swing away also incorporates a detachable bike rack that carries up to 3 bikes.

It has proven to be absolutely rock solid so far, including a fair few miles off-road.

A big advantage of this design is it saves considerable weight and cost over a full bumper. It is also a thoroughly proven design having been around for approx 10 years and 100s of units in the US (i.e., Summit Cruisers).

If I was to do it again, I would simply order the Summit Cruisers one as a kit and have it built here. My total build cost was pretty much the same but the kit would save a lot of measuring time!

If I'm honest Chris, that's really my main concern..... the loading stresses on just one side of the chassis if I don't go for the full steel bumper!

Bodie, there is absolutely no issues in regards to this. The chassis is more than up to the task with some people in the US carrying 40” tyres on this design with no issues. This type of design is extremely well proven having been around for a long time and extensively reported about over on ih8mud. Full bumper is not needed for a tyre carrier.

The short answer to this is no, there are no ‘patterns’ available. Mine was built by a local fabricator to my design. It was done for cash and the rates were good but it took a lot of hours! To do it right there is no escaping the requirement for sufficient time. I also had to pay for my drawings to be done on CAD. As mine is bolt on, the tolerances were pretty tight to ensure everything lined up.

Random thought about strength had me look up how much weight a bicycle is designed to carry and 20 to 30 stone seems typical :think:

Hi Andy, thanks for that... struggling to see exactly from the pictures, but does that frame fit on an OEM chassis/bumper or is it the swing arm for theTJM steel bumper? If the former, could be interested if you're looking to sell?

Back