Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear chassis to body mounts

Kellys Hero

Country Flag
uk
Hi I've read various post about the bumping I hear when going over potholes is due to the mount becoming dislodged.
Anyone had the same problem, if so where are the located?
Ones above the axle are obvious as they are in full view....
Could it be a weak spring?
Shocks have been replaced recently....
NO CLUNKS when towing !

Could be almost anything but quite unlikely to be a chassis to body mounting. Not impossible but more likely a control arm bush or similar. Possibly an ARB bush or potentially shock mounting bush. I'd eliminate all of those first and anything loose in any of the wheel arch tubs.

Thanks for your reply Chris.
I'm lucky enough to have use of a 2 post ramp so I have checked all the bushes thoroughly and found nothing untoward...
I was hoping for someone to say Aaah I know what that is....
Regards Dave

They're pretty well built and reliable vehicles and not prone to bumps and knocks, but when you do get one it's not always easy to find. I'd only add that being so big and heavy, you really need a big lever to wiggle all of the bushes. I'm guessing you have done that. Sometimes play only shows up when there's significant force applied.

Typically you'll hear noises when accelerating or braking. These is the movement back and forth when coming on and off load. But noises when going over bumps are a bit different. Seriously, do have a good look inside the rear wheel arches and the cubby box in the rear trim in the boot. Items fall in there and bump around.

If it did not do it before replacement shocks it could be a faulty shock absorber. Could be a faulty spare wheel carrier or loose spare wheel.

I had the same problem, its most likely one of the body mounts at the rear quarter. In my case the rim of the round seat that holds the rubber broke away. it wasn't that badly corroded but maybe there had been a lot of weight inside on an occasion. A trailer does dampen the force of the back of the car being bounced up which is when the body and mount may separate.

The bad news is, that from what I could work out is that the mounts can only be replaced from the top down. As an interim long term solution I fitted some cuttings of heavy rubber D section fendering between the body and the chassis along the rear quarters. If you get a block of wood and jack the body up about 10mm you should gain some extra clearance to fit it in.

If you have a ramp then ideally lift the body off and replace them all. I would also fit a 20mm space just to create a larger gap between the body and the chassis rails to make cleaning the chassis a lot of crap can build up over time.

I don't think its related to springs and shocks as I noticed it even after I upgraded. Also worth checking you haven't got an excessive build up of grase inside the rear prop shaft and that is still floats on the splines

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before putting it on the ramp get on your back with a foot on the exhaust and don't be shy about trying to force it to knock on something .

Back