Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Control Arm Bushes.....

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
The lower control arm bushes are getting a bit tired and in need of replacement (thanks to Chris and Andy for spotting this) so I’m weighing up options. The recommendation is for OEM but these are £73+vat each and even with discount from Simon they come in at over £200 a set. Discounting the split install types available, these seem to be a proven product.......https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/nolathane-rear-lower-trailing-arm-bush-kit-7385.html Taking into account longevity and any possible differences in ride/vibration etc are the OEM’s really worth 4 x the price. If they are I’ll get some, just seems a big difference is all.

I’m almost at the stage of replacing mine Towpack only because I mistakenly changed them for silicone bushes before 6 years ago and affecting the ride I’m sure.

Now like the previous chassis mounts I bought, again chose the febest brand that are OEM.

Bought all 12 bushes in total for all the rear.

Looking to change them his week finally so I’ll get a better ride hopefully.

Have you looked on Amayama?

Yeah, I checked on Amayama and they’re just over £18 each from the UAE but with shipping and VAT and a probably surcharge from Parcelfirce, a set should be around the £120/130 mark, plus the shipping delays of course.

I’ve heard that said before Dervis regarding the ride quality of silicone bushes. The ‘Nolathene’ RoughTrax items are supposed to be better than silicone in this respect.

The Febest brand are offered on Amayama as ‘non original replacements’ and are only £3.81 each +VAT +shipping!

Yeah, I checked on Amayama and they’re just over £18 each from the UAE but with shipping and VAT and a probably surcharge from Parcelfirce, a set should be around the £120/130 mark, plus the shipping delays of course.

I’ve heard that said before Dervis regarding the ride quality of silicone bushes. The ‘Nolathene’ RoughTrax items are supposed to be better than silicone in this respect.

As was said the other day TP,I'm with OEM as far as suspension bushes go. That said,Chris sourced some rear bushes which looked very much like OEM from somewhere I'm not sure where. It might be worth a Google search Ebay etc or a PM to Chris.
Yes ,£73 + is very expensive for a bush when you need 4 of them. Just bear in mind there are very few vehicles of 20 years old would justify that level of expense but the mighty 80 series is one of them.

I've had nolathane/whiteline bushes on my rear arms for about 4 years now. No problems with them, one got a little shredded around the edge on a rock but is fine otherwise. Probably done about 30-35000 miles on them now, mostly off road

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oem all the way. Look how long the originals have lasted.
i have one remaining complete oem bush kit in, i can take the ones you need out and replace them if you want, its no bother.
dervis, what makes you think febest are oem?

Ahh, I only managed to find some upper control arm bushes that looked like OEM and they've been great. The ones I got with my EFS suspension have been excellent too but are the synthetic one piece press fit ones. Thgese needed warming in water to soften them and then a healthy slather of white grease before pressing in. Anything that's two pieces pushed in from opposite ends with sleeve in the middle are to be avoided at all costs.

Not sure if they were SuperPro. I might have the original packaging. I'll have a look.

The OEM are a steel sleeve, rubber then an outer steel sleeve. There's nothing as good.

I've got the roughtrax ones you're on about, they seem alright up to now but not done that many miles to give a fair review. They look good quality mind

20171230_134549.jpg

Reminds me of my days rebuilding Aston Martins. They were each fitted with about 20 "metalastic" bushes which cost a fortune but fitted many UK models from Solihull. I rang metalastic sales who had no trade tie off with AM as the bushes were standard items. Their rep said to meet me outside the gates of Range Rover factory. He arrived with a boot load of bushes, enough for 3 cars FOC. He would not even have a "drink". Unfortunately, in general, the days of doing favours over the phone with enthusiastic people who want to help are gone.

Whilst I agree that OEM is best for this particular part - ones in the OEM style are probably as near as dammit. Bonded steel core and outer banded sleeve. Anything as long as they're not orange and spilt into two halves! The OEM have a gap through them which I believe is part of their ability to flex without tearing or stretching.

Thanks to all for advice. I’ve gone for OEM from Amayama which will still come out at much less than 1/2 the dealer price after shipping and Vat, even if there are cheaper alternatives.

Funnily enough the lower rear arm bushes have shown since yesterday that they're shot. Have rear axle shudder and when you grab the lower arm and twist there's quite a rotation on them!

So the first bit of maintenance for 6 months! Not bad at all! Will be getting the daily drive in dock this weekend for a bit of tlc!.... love the trusty old beast!:thumbup:

Back