Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff Lock Not Engaging

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I went to engage my rear diff lock today and found that it won't engage. The light on the dash won't stop flashing although the ABS off light is on as expected. I had a new actuator fitted two years ago as the old one was rusted solid so I am hoping that it is not a problem with the actuator. Does anyone know any other reasons for the diff lock not to engage. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it could be the lock sensor. These have a fairly hight rate of failure. They're a ball bearing detent arrangement with a push to make circuit. The actuator arm pushed the ball and closes the circuit making the light go solid. It doesn't mean the locker isn't engaged.

You really need to establish whether the rear is physically locked or unlocked. That's the starting point. The teeth on the dog clutch are really coarse on the rear so to save time, effort and any doubt, I'd lift a wheel off the ground, engage the locker and turn the wheel. Yes you can drive in circles and back up going lock to lock, but honestly, just jack a wheel up.

If it locks then it's the detent switch. If it won't lock after spinning the wheel, it MIGHT be the motor or quite often, the actuator rod can bind due to the motor not being quite mounted centrally. I'd loosen the 4 bolts on the housing very slightly then try again. A couple of soft taps might help.

It's possible but RARE that it's an electrical fault. SO try the easy things first.

Yes, it could be the lock sensor. These have a fairly hight rate of failure. They're a ball bearing detent arrangement with a push to make circuit. The actuator arm pushed the ball and closes the circuit making the light go solid. It doesn't mean the locker isn't engaged.

You really need to establish whether the rear is physically locked or unlocked. That's the starting point. The teeth on the dog clutch are really coarse on the rear so to save time, effort and any doubt, I'd lift a wheel off the ground, engage the locker and turn the wheel. Yes you can drive in circles and back up going lock to lock, but honestly, just jack a wheel up.

If it locks then it's the detent switch. If it won't lock after spinning the wheel, it MIGHT be the motor or quite often, the actuator rod can bind due to the motor not being quite mounted centrally. I'd loosen the 4 bolts on the housing very slightly then try again. A couple of soft taps might help.

It's possible but RARE that it's an electrical fault. SO try the easy things first.

Many thanks for that cracking reply!

Back