Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear diff lock

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
The other day we went to the beach for a nice lunch at Harry's Shack, a very nice little restaurant and if you ever up that way it's well worth a visit.
While on the beach I decided to check if all the bits are working, everything seemed ok until I tried to engage the rear diff lock, the light just kept flashing, normally it turns solid within a few meters of driving but this time it didn't.
I gave Toyota a call who said bring it by to have a look, they tried a few tricks but it didn't want to engage so booked the car in with them.
I took it to them today and was later told that it is not electrical as that all checks out, they suggested that they'll have to dig deeper by removing the diff to see what is going on and that the warranty should cover the failure but they will confirm once they figured out what is wrong.

I generally try to lock the diffs every now and again, there aren't many time or places where it's called for so I have to go out of my way sometimes to check them.

Any one have any experience with the rear diff lock on a 150 and to what could be the cause? Last year Toyota replaced the diff oil and I'm sure I had it locked once after but I can't remember and I'm wondering if some how this would prevent the diff from locking.

Cheers
Hamba

I've only got the centre. Will be interesting to see what they say. Burnt / jammed motor that engages it?

That does looks like a relatively easy fix. I also hope that they will have the parts to fix it. I fear that what ever it is will have to be ordered from Japan as I can't see why Toyota would keep these bits on the shelf.

@Gasmanjc you were on the money, they replaced the actuator. They couldn't tell me why it stopped working but going by the video I recon its probably the same reason, luckily the extended warranty covered the costs so I didn't have to pay a thing.
I am a bit surprised that it failed, I wonder what I can do to prevent it from happening again.

For anyone who around in Northern Ireland, Toyota in Ballymena has been providing me with some really good service the last few times I've been there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back