Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Door Compatibility

Craig Levers

Country Flag
new_zealand
The missus and I are very proud owners of a '96 HZJ75 that was converted from new to a high roof camper. We bought it 2 years ago and have continued curating it the way previous owners have, slowly upgrading it. Our current issue is that we want to put a fresh water tanks and a grey water tank under floor ie in the chassis. There are two options; one is to change the exhaust over to a straight through exhaust. This would free up the space the large standard muffler takes up. Anyone got thoughts on this option?

Next option, and probably most feasible, is moving the spare tyre from the rear underneath bracket to a rear door bracket. The problem as I understand it, is we have a right barn door that is not reinforced to hold the weight of the spare tyre. So I have to source a right hand barn door with the spare tyre bracket on it. I can't find a HZJ75 barn door in NZ. So what other cruiser doors are compatible? Will a KZJ78 bolt straight on for example?

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

On my 105 I removed the rear exhaust box and redirected the exhaust pipe out of the side. I made no difference to the noise of performance of the vehicle. Not sure what the exhaust set-up of the 75 is but some food for thought.

I also removed the spare wheel from underneath the vehicle, which combined with the removal of the rear box made loads of space for a 85l fresh water tank and a 20l refillable LPG tank for cooking gas.

I can't help with compatible doors i'm afraid althought i'm sure someone on here will be able to help. Have you tried sourcing a new door from Amayama?

The other option is to get a rear bumper with swing out wheel carrier(s), which is what I did. It is a very expensive option so it depends on your budget but some more food for thought.

Back