Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Door Weatherseal Replacement

glen2480

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,

Looks like the rear door (the one at the very back) weather seal has gone, opened it up this morning to find water in the back. Just got a quote from Toyota for it, £240 parts only!!

Did a google search, spoke to a couple of weatherseal manufacturers, but the only other one i could find was on eBay for approx. £190:
Genuine Toyota Prado 120 Series KZJ KDJ GRJ Back Door Tailgate Barn Weatherstrip | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

If anyone else has had to replace this before, were you able to source a seal that's a little more reasonable for cost? Or any other ideas I can try?

Thanks!

Door Seal Pic 1.jpg

Mine was leaking under the seal (rather than between the seal and the door). I botched this quite successfully with black silicone for a couple of years then got one from Amayama (or Partsouq, can't remember) when I was getting some other bits.

Although it's looking like £120 + the risk of VAT and import duty from them these days. I wouldn't worry about parts only, it's a 3 minute job to press on.

Toyota 67881-60131 (6788160131) WEATHERSTRIP, BACK DOOR - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Check out Sealsdirect, they have loads and loads of rubber seal profiles/sizes off the shelf, sold by the metre. If you can match one up with yours, it will be much cheaper.
Remember, Toyota don't make the seals, they will get them in from a supplier, so you're not held to ransom in that respect.

Watching this with interest, no leaks but the bottom run is getting scabby from multiple dog claws as they jump up in the back, so if someone finds the right profile at a decent cost i'm in too.

Hi Rob, thanks for the link mate, much appreciated. I've pulled the trigger and ordered that.

I haven't stopped looking for cheaper options, hopefully it can help someone else. I spoke with a few rubber extrusion manufacturers yesterday, a lot of them had close matches, but were missing some of the extra profile details which i think would make a difference.

The closest match I've found at the moment is from Seals direct (thanks Tractionman), its a VW V5 Van Rear door seal (Ordercode ETS 4122). I think it would work if anyone is game to try, and at £9.35 a metre its a lot more palatable. I've put a link below:

PDF Spec - https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS4122DR.pdf
Ordering Page - Door Seals, Rubber Seals, Rubber Extrusions, Window Rubbers UK | Seals Direct - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

And here's a photo of the Toyota profile:

Door Seal Pic 2.jpg

I bought a seal from Toyota but I don't think it was silly money, pretty sure it was about £120 and I thought that was expensive. Have a look under the carpet by the rear door as mine was rusty which I cut out and welded a new section across the back. That was the only rusty place on my 120.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm interesting as a previos owner ( or his dog!) had chewed through the seal in places at the bottom. Fortunately living here, it is dust ingress not water!

Back