Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Door

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
I absolutely love my 120 except for the rear door and the way it is hinged.

It might seem an odd question but does anyone know if it possible to have it converted into a horizontally split door as per the Amazon.I really like the idea of a seat to sit on and a roof as it were to get some sort of protection when sitting,Thanks

Anything is possible, it just may be prohibitively expensive. I think that this falls into that category.

An alternative solution would be to fashion a slide out or foldout platform for seating. That would be relatively easy and cheap. For weather protection a pull out self supporting mini awning would probably be the best solution.

You'd then be able to retain your barn door rear and keep the option of a fold down table on it, which is really popular.

Anything is possible, it just may be prohibitively expensive. I think that this falls into that category.

An alternative solution would be to fashion a slide out or foldout platform for seating. That would be relatively easy and cheap. For weather protection a pull out self supporting mini awning would probably be the best solution.

You'd then be able to retain your barn door rear and keep the option of a fold down table on it, which is really popular.
Yes I might try to make some sort of seat incorporated within my intended drawer storage system once I'm out of hospital and back on my feet.

There's a chap in Oz who makes gas struts and mounting plates for our doors. If I can sort out a purchase (with discount) would you be interested? They prevent the door opening and/or closing uncontrollably.

AM

I'm interested, it will depend on cost of course. Also be interested if they do recovery points for the 120 to.

Do you have any fitted?

G.

I might also be interested in a gas strut. Do you have a link to their/his website?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a chap in Oz who makes gas struts and mounting plates for our doors. If I can sort out a purchase (with discount) would you be interested? They prevent the door opening and/or closing uncontrollably.
Yes I would be interested,It is so easy for the door to swing open uncontrollably.

Interested depending on cost. My door got damage in Dartmoor when it got caught by the wind and slammed open...

I would be interested as well.

Does that price include VAT and import tax ?

No. I didn't think of that one. :disappointed:

Allow 3.5% import duty and a £15 customs clearance fee per package. Then add 20% VAT on the total of: [purchase price + shipping cost + import duty + customs clearance fee].

Yes, you pay tax on the import duty! Tax on tax ... grr!

It's just a thought (and nicking the idea), but I wonder if somewhere like this could supply the strut if given the dimensions and fittings needed: https://strutsdirect.metrol.com
The reinforcing plate looks pretty straightforward. Might save a bob or two ?

The swing away door on the 120 is actually quite nice. We have used a triangle of canvas with 5 hook points to provide some cover over the space with the door open, mostly to cover the cooking area from a fold down table mounted to the inside of the door. Something like this could be made permanent and be left in place 24/7.

Its much easier to do that than try to create a vertical cover to keep the wind out of the split tailgate on the 80's and 100's.

Besides you are constantly moving stuff on the split tailgate to get at the drawers. With the swing away, with a fold down table, no problems.

The overall best solution though, might be barn doors. Best of most worlds.

For the strut, i would be interested as well.

I'm definitely interested as well. One of the few things I really dislike about the 120 is the uncontrollable rear door.

A mate of mine has a Vitara LWB with a swing open door like the 120 but with a gas strut at the bottom, it works well. The 120 should of come with one from the factory, the prop thing is total rubbish.

Back