Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear drawer system

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok, problem solved. Spend £1000 on an African Outback drawer system.
Ahh, new problem raised - the lack of £1000. Hmm. So can I build my own - and will it be good enough. Well the ones in Lil Blue were really good actually but for the increase in size on the 80 I might need to go a bit beefier. I have been Googling, but can't seem to find and drawer sliders other than the pressed steel type drawer runners. What I really want to the roller bearing (like a wheel) type, similar to that on a fridge slider, that will take the punishment of fully loaded and extended drawers. I can make the frame, even have the deck contoured to the internals of the boot area with inverter and battery space etc, but the drawer slider bit is the tipping point.

Any ideas Guys?

Chris

You could look at my african outback drawers and copy them.

They use quite a good system of box channel running between normal roller bearings which makes very strong runners.

I can post pics if you want.

does anyone know why the African outback drawers are so expensive?

Do they cost a lot? ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Those ex AA ones are excellent as I have them as my tool box in the garage. They are made by Sortimo and seem very solid and well made. They are a modular design so easily mod'ed to fit where-ever, they're only about 25 inches deep though.

The African Outback drawers are a lot of money but are they expensive? ;)

They do have a very clever top cover/fridge slide/drawer opening and the roller system is very sturdy. The drawer runners for that load and length will prove to be very expensive from my investigations.

I got some Rugged Trail drawers off ebay as a number of people on here which I can take pics of if you want, but they have some drawbacks (sorry :oops: ) I'd be keen to point out. For cost I'd suggest a strong support frame of wood or metal and see which drawers you can adapt a floor roller system to separate the loadings (and the cost)

Best of luck... shout if you want pictures, its a nice day here!

Paul, Dave - pics yes please. I can make the frame up just like I did before. Probably stronger than shop bought. It was well over-engineered. But the draw slider is a key part inf they are to be more than large kitchen drawers. I have seen a set and thought they were superb. But a £grand? not cheap. I do like the sliding lid on the right hand drawer. That's clever too. Paul, is there storage down the side in the spaces next to the wheel arch? I need somewhere to put leisure battery, compressor etc. Do the drawers go all the way to the back of the middle seats or is there room there too?

Chris

Why the need for expensive sliders? my 1 meter x 500mm draws simply glide on nylon carpet. The pile keeps them sufficiently located sideways too ;)

draws1.jpg

draws2.jpg

Nicely made Paul. I like the handles - where did you source those from?

Why drawers? 'Cos I can. :lol: :lol:

But a good point. If you follow that logic then actually AO drawers make no sense at all. I shall ponder those wise words Paul. I could certainly use the money for other things. I can male a winch bumper easy enough, but tempted to buy an ARB. Same thinking applies. That's best part of £2000 you've just saved me. Just don't know if I can be bothered. Did I just say that? NURSE!!!!!

Chris

Chris said:
Nicely made Paul. I like the handles - where did you source those from?
Info on the handles and more **here** Chris.

Total cost for the draws and bed, about £170 ish

Cossack said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/853-196-FLIP-HANDLE-RACK-FLIGHT-CASE-DJ-DISCO-SPEAKERS-/290431898454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439f171356
Cheapest flightcase handles on eBay.
Chas
Thanks Chas, I see the link to the ones I got off eBay in my original post has expired.... yep those are the ones.

Hey guys,

The slide rails that you are looking for and the ones that are used by African Outback are from 'Firnlock and Slide' a South African Company. As far as I know they are the best and are quite reasonable if you are trying to build your own drawer system.
Just google the comapny and you can talk to them. They were kind enough the send me their catalogue and price list by DHL.

Thanks Gary. Not quite what I am looking for. I had those before. I want something like you have on your fridge slider.

Does anyone ever read before they post? I don't know. :oops: :lol:

Mind you, with your measuring skills, I shouldn't really wonder should I.... :roll:

Chris

I dunno - typical Pom - play the man, not the ball - no wonder so many people are wearing 'THAT' t-shirt - something about anyone but England ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/off-topic]

If that was a football reference it went straight over my head.
Now, a Saffa calling a Brit a Pom. Now that really is mixed up!

Rather that than a Salt-d*** :lol:

C

African Outback looks very sturdy!

3.JPG

4.JPG

Seems to me the bearing design is very simple, yet very effective

Bearings are a couple quid apiece?

Back