Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear plate surround removal

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
I want to take the plate surround off to sort bubbling around/behind it. How is this done - is it to take the boot door card off and release clips or gently prise it off from the outside?

Thanks

Don't try and prise it off from the outside !
Take the door card off and remove from inside. I think there are threaded projections on the plate which nuts screw on from the inside. Hopefully someone else can shed more light.

Brilliant thanks - guessed it would be the inside not the outside. Just wanted to check as I want to take it with the plate off instead of relying on someone who may not take as much care

Good thinking Paul, doing it yourself is always best option.
You will also have to disconnect the wiring in there for the plate light, just a simple release the tag and pull both halves apart, sometimes a wiggle can help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a very good point Karl, and I didn't consider the door with no wheel that doesn't have the clunker of a number plate light and square fixing plate as mine.
As you have the other option with spare free door, does that mean the long central plate is removable from the outside, as I know you have given advice on the long chrome strip removal ?

As you have the other option with spare free door, does that mean the long central plate is removable from the outside, as I know you have given advice on the long chrome strip removal ?

As far as I remember, if you pull it off from the outside, it will just snap the clips. You've got to take the trim off the back door, and then squeeze the clips together from the inside, so that the thing pulls out. I think some of the clips are quite hard to reach though! And they might snap anyway when you pinch them together - old brittle plastic now I suppose!

Had mine off only last weekend. Once the door card is removed it’s very easy access to 3 nuts (that are on threaded fitted bolts from the outside), and then it comes off quite easily - the rest is some plastic clips. The wire plug is easy to disconnect from inside and then the rubber grommet comes away freely.

Mines the version with spare wheel on the door.

Karl, thanks for coming in on that, the door card still has to come off, so I didn't give Paul completely duff info.
Dave, more or less confirms what I said originally, thanks.
Both variants, both need door cards off, so I didn't mislead Paul, I'm glad to say.

Unfortunately, I broke mine by pulling - I've fixed it back in place but need a replacement and Toyota quoted £200 off for the plastic trim itself.

partsouq or amayama any better?

Last few bits I've bought from Japan havent attracted any import duty.

Karl, they have now !!

Winterhalder, looks like a breakers yard. At least you know it doesn't just pull off now !

Hope it is in a better state than mine was

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 19.09.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 19.09.36.png
    683.9 KB · Views: 35
Back