Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear prop

JakeM

Country Flag
uk
hello
I am needing to buy a new rear prop from the ebay. Is there a difference between the ones for manual and auto boxes?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think they are the same. I had a quick compare of SWB manual vs auto rear props here and the part numbers are identical so I guess that's also true of LWB. You ought to double check though by comparing the part catalogue for a MTM and ATM model

Hi Jake why don't you just sent it off to repair?
That's what I did with both mine. Good as new & cheaper.

Good suggestion about getting it refurbished. My garage tried to persuade me to let them send mine away to their friendly local refurbisher. The price was pretty modest if I remember correctly. (As it happened, all it needed was a rear spider joint, which I fitted myself at a cost that was even cheaper!)

What's wrong with your prop Jake?

Play in the shaft. Vibes at 2000rpm. Took it apart , greased it, that made it 50% better. Lived with it for a couple of months, of course it's got progressively worse. Time for replacement I think.

The car is my work vehicle so can't be off the road if possible. So sending shaft off for a fix isn't possible.

A few on eBay at the mo.

Any decent garage should be able to change the UJ's on the prop reasonably quickly, I just don't see the need to buy a replacement prop from eBay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you tried splitting the prop , twisting one end a little and slotting it back together . They are balanced so everyone puts the back the same way they came out - but if somewhere along the line someone didn't they might have been slotted back together incorrectly and unbalanced ever since .

I have a pair of props for a SWB which need UJ's but are are available if needed.

I think like others have said it's well worth trying to get it refurbished... they'll be like new then.

Plus you can't guarantee the ones you get off ebay will be in great shape...

The car is my work vehicle so can't be off the road if possible. So sending shaft off for a fix isn't possible.

The dilemma of a daily driver - I know the feeling.

I would certainly risk an Ebay one in that situation. Most scrapyards will offer returns and - unlike some parts - you should be able to tell if its FUBARed before you fit it. Trouble in the sliding joint is pretty rare and the double cardan joint isn't something that's prone to problems. The rearmost UJ could well be shot, but it's an easy home fix if needed.

Sliding joint problems are unheard of i reckon though they can be hydro locked with to much grease so i very much doubt you could buy another with the same problem , the UJ's however are a disposable part and can't really be guaranteed once used .

It takes longer to get the prop off than it does to change a UJ and that's only because there's about 12 bolts holding it in . A difficulty rating on par with changing a wheel .

Thanks peeps
I've bought one , I'll let you know the results when it turns up and I've fitted it.
Thanks again.

Back