Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Quaters filling up with water

Cruiserdude

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can advise why both my rear quarters are holding water. I'm referring to the sections hidden by the corner bumper units and where electric and sunroof drain pipe passes through (Hope that makes sense) I recently did work to both sides and believe they are both finished correctly (the only difference being I plugged a small drain hole on the drivers side, the passenger side didn't have one)

How does water get in there? Is it through the sliding windows above? Is this part of the reason people replace them? The whole of the inner area has surface condensation!

I could of course remove the sealant to allow a certain amount of water to drain but I'd rather know why it's getting in as the drain hole wouldn't solve a rusting issue due to its position.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark

Mine had the same problem, sealed the windows and made sure drains were clear, I now have rot in that area before I found the damp. :icon-cry:

Regards

Dave

check the sun roof, the pipes from the drain off at the rear of the sun roof run down and out of them panels if you have water getting to the outside of the pipes it will follow the pipes.

I read somewhere that the clips that hold the trims that run along just below the windows wear through their little sealing pads between them and the holes in the body they are clipped into. The trims aren't a lot of money from Amayama. About £30 each IIRC. the drain holes do get blocked and that's when the rot starts to take hold. Generally the fixed windows don't let water in. The sliding ones have drains in the rubber covered Ally frame. Over time the Ally rots and swells visibly. I wouldn't expect the windows to be letting water in unless there's a hole rotted underneath. They are easy enough to remove and refit though. The body does get rotted around the lower edges of the window, mostly minor but I have seen some more significant rusting so it's worth taking the window out and checking.

Also condensation I'm afraid. The bottoms of the corners rot out yes, due to standing water, but if you pull the panel off and look at the tops of the wheel tubs, you will see that water gets into the gap between the wing and the tub and rots them out. I believe that water comes from condensation running down the inside of the quarter panel. It does not rot from the outside in.

The back lights were not sealed on mine and let water in. I suspect all leaving the factory were not sealed

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys,

I have noticed a few drops of water above the drivers area when it's raining hard so I imagine the sunroof isn't completely water tight, maybe a small amount is able to trickle down there.

On the drivers quater, I had a pool about a cm high so quite considerable I think. The condensation was very apparent on the panels above which I guess could drop down and pool.

My sliding window surrounds are a little bubbly so probably need replacing - where are you guys getting replacements from? I'd probably go with the fixed type.
Anyone had issues with leaking rear light assemblies?
What's the best remedy for the sunroof? I currently have a fine bead of body sealant around the opening but obviously it's not perfect.

Cheers,
Mark

You won't stop moisture getting in - you just need to make sure it can get out.

1. As others have said, make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the panels (and doors) are clear.

2. Cat litter... Take a couple of old socks, fill them with good quality cat litter, and place them strategically around the truck (not in the doors!)

I also had a problem in that location - in my case, there was a missing grommet that's supposed to seal around the tow bar harness as it exits the quarter panel just behind the wheel arch so a good splash was getting in every time I went through a puddle.

Thanks for your input Guys!

Regarding the appropriate drainage in the quaters... I'm wondering if the lowest seem joint in there is supposed to have a 'slit' style drain like we find intermittently along the central sill area under the doors. Could anyone verify that please?

Neither of mine have these drains due replacemt body work, I could put some in if they're supposed to be there.

Thanks again :)

The condensation could be a result of water evaporation coming from a leak. YES THE REAR LIGHTS CAN LEAK.

I had some minor leaks some time ago from the rear sliding window locating lugs as Starcruiser has already mentioned. The thin rubber gaskets under the clips has perished. I just removed the gaskets and refitted the trims with a dab of silicone on each clip and that cured it. If the car is reasonably dry inside to start with you shouldn't get condensation behind trim panels. I had a leak into the front driver's footwell earlier this year which soaked the carpets and caused condensation on the windows overnight. None at all now after fixing the leak and lifting/drying the carpets and replacing the sodden underlay. I also have a couple of those small, mains 'rechargeable' damp absorption units that I leave in the car during Winter which keep condensation down to virtually zero.

My truck spends all it’s time outside, all seasons.

I think it’s condensation, we have hot summers, and torrential rain storms on occasions. I’ve pulled the inner panels off after such downpours and there’s nothing.

Now it’s autumn, the whole truck has that damp-air feel about it first thing in the morning, and if I pull a panel off now, I’d guarantee the inside of the steel will look like a cold Stella.

Both my quarters rotted out and the replacements have nicely molded, well painted, drains. I have no idea what the originals had, but for sure it wasn’t enough...

Haha, nice cold Stella :obscene-drinkingbe: but yeh, that's pretty much what I was looking all over my panels! You're right too Clive, mine hasn't been an issue at all over summer time.

Interesting your replacement metal work has drains, Sounds like a modification is required to mine. I'll post up what ever I come up with.

Thanks for your help everyone :thumbup:

This has made me wonder if sprayingbpyurethane foam inside these panels might be a good idea, a bit like the spray loft insulation. Now, I don't know if this is possible for small areas, or if it would cause more problems than it solved, but the principal of insulating the panels would at least prevent condensation and the insulation would be good for both winter and summer, particularly if the rear quarters weren't the only places coated. Just idle thought really.

mine has a little rubber plug on the bottom of the rear quarters, I took them out and drilled small holes in the rubber plugs. Hopefully this keeps water from filling up the rear quarters.

mine has a little rubber plug on the bottom of the rear quarters, I took them out and drilled small holes in the rubber plugs. Hopefully this keeps water from filling up the rear quarters.
Pull the bungs out and waxoyl in the quarters jobs a good un + 1 with Billy and the sunroof drains but that's only for leaks in the sunroof area.

Back