Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear suspension rubber.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Last year sometime I was turning a sharp left and felt/heard a clonk and could have sworn I felt some rear end steer, I was on my way to do some trails with @Rodger and fully loaded. I pulled over and in the dark looked all over the rear suspension, nothing broken and all looked good, the 80 had passed the MOT only three or four weeks earlier, nothing run over in the road ect. I guessed it was something in the wooden spares box, the spare starter/alternator or CV rolling around, I convinced myself it must have been that, another check when getting home found nothing.

Forgeting all about it and a few weeks later I did some of the Spain thru to Portugal run with some LCC club members, no problem. A couple of weeks ago with the front right wheel on a tall 4x4 ramp, and the rear right body on axle stands I noticed one of the trailing arm bushes looking proper buggered. Further investigation shows the bush had somehow deformed and then rotated keeping the arm tightly in place, it was just wear and tear but disguised by the bush rotation.

So from a single clonk and and no other indication of a problem on or off road, for over 8 months and weighing in at well over 3 ton I am a, impressed at the ruggedness of the 80 and b, perhaps a little concerned. I would suggest a very large pry bar be used for testing the trailing arm rubbers and not relying on your last inspection.

I will replace all rear suspension rubbers in the next few weeks, so if anyone has shelved a new complete OE set in preference for silicone (silicone can be MOT grief if used here in Spain) or know of a reliable source with sensible prices please let me know.

TIA

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back