Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommend a quiet route from London to York

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Heading upto York for a few days and was wondering if there were any quiet / trails that could be done on the way up.

I have 9 hrs on the day to drive, and dont want to just motorway it all the way. Any recommendations for scenic or easy-trails along the way would be very appreciated.

Nothing technical, I don't want to get stuck - have an arrival deadline.

There's potentially some in the peaks but could be a bit of a divert from the motorways. I'd have to look at my maps to be sure it's a viable option.

Plenty as get above York into the moors etc.

When are you up this way?

Thanks Gary.

Coming up this Thursday, staying till Saturday.

From routes I've got plotted and lanes marked up, there's a possible divert from the M1, would be towards Matlock area then via a few lanes towards Chatsworth house, one of the lanes runs through the estate 5 to 6 in total. Lanes I've driven before, not just flat gravel tracks, couple slightly rocky but we had a stock rangie on road tyres along them.

I can't remember if one of those lanes is a scratchy downhill one though tbh. Not challenging but let's the paintwork know who's in charge!!!!

This is a zoomed out pic from my tablet so not showing as an os map. lower Orange circle to start, the dark blue line showing the road and purple for lanes, end at the top circle.

It's be a couple of hours.

20180528_223103.jpg

The roads across have great views especially as get to the Chatsworth area as get great views of the house.

I'm back to work Thursday otherwise I'd have happily driven down there to meet up for a few lanes.

Quite welcome to give me a shout when in York if fancy a brew, I'll just leave work at a reasonable time for a change.

Many thanks! Will try and scope this in.

Once I have agenda for the days there sorted, will reach out. Be great to meetup.

Memory map does let me e mail files but doesn't always open well at the other end. I can screen shot at os level to show the route in more detail.

I'll sort those later and post here, it would just need linking up to the motorway.
Chatsworth is about 1.5 hours from us for time planning.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Start point for lanes is the circle near Birchover

Pics are in order that following them on a map would be
20180530_100929.jpg

20180530_100345.jpg

20180530_100409.jpg

20180530_100423.jpg

Last lane is through Chatsworth estate and the entrance is after the buildings/church.
Views leading up to it are great too.

If need any more detail let me know and can zoom it in, can try to e mail if needed also.

Dark blue = roads
Purple = lanes

All well surfaced, bit rocky but not to the point of needing sliders etc.

@GeekOKent
I've e mailed the route to myself as a gpx file which has worked (gpx viewer app needed)
If you want to pm me an e mail I'll send it over as well.
Will show just the short route that way.
It's prob 10 to 15 miles plus the divert from/to the motorway.

Thanks gary, i reasonable often work in and around darley dale, ill take the (even more) scenic route in next time..

Back