Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommendations for a Snorkel

Brian S

Country Flag
england
As above, just toying with the idea at the moment, priced up the Safari one £££
Will a cheaper one be ok ?
Will do the breather tubes as well, @Ecoman do you still do the kits?

Unless you are truly planning on going bonnet deep then I'd have a sleep, come to your senses and spend your money on something more useful. Water that deep is quite rare and in most builds all you end up with is an expensive plastic pipe up your windscreen. Std wading depth is 700 mm to begin with. You can go more with a bow wave on shorter crossings.

Just trying to save your cash.

B
As above, just toying with the idea at the moment, priced up the Safari one £££
Will a cheaper one be ok ?
Will do the breather tubes as well, @Ecoman do you still do the kits?
Brian, it may be w0rth trying devon 4x4 they arent far from you i believe?
Mine was £149 for the 60 which I thought was very good.

Safari
I have looks at cheaper copies and they looked inferior

I fitted one because I was going to Iceland, where we had numerous river crossings, well over 50 in the 2 weeks

B

Brian, it may be w0rth trying devon 4x4 they arent far from you i believe?
Mine was £149 for the 60 which I thought was very good.

Ben that's where I got the price from :shock: , if it was that price I would be happy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unless you are truly planning on going bonnet deep then I'd have a sleep, come to your senses and spend your money on something more useful. Water that deep is quite rare and in most builds all you end up with is an expensive plastic pipe up your windscreen. Std wading depth is 700 mm to begin with. You can go more with a bow wave on shorter crossings.

Just trying to save your cash.

Chris, got a few things in mind, an expensive plastic pipe might give me peace of mind, even if I never get water over the bonnet

It's your dollar buddy. I just think that in the very vast majority of builds they're an utter waste of time and money. Not having one is a very good way of not entering water that you really shouldn't do in the first place. Depth isn't the only consideration.

I got a cheap chinese one from Ebay and I'm perfectly happy with it. It looks fine (indistinguishable from the real Safari ones as far as I can tell), it fits perfectly, and it seems tough (copes with the normal knocks and bashes while green laning).

The only downsides: the template was poor (there is a rather larger hole in my wing than is needed! But it's all hidden by the snorkel) and it was missing a 'reducer' for the air hose. I don't know if Safari templates are better (or indeed whether it was my own ham-fistedness that was to blame) and for the price difference, the cost of an extra reducer it trivial (luckily I had some hose that I could cannibalise to do the job).

I agree with what Chris says about assessing whether you need one. If you have any kind of lift, that will add to the standard 700mm wading depth (for comparison Defenders are 500mm). I made do without one for years while green laning and did plenty of fords (750mm is quite deep!). I fitted one in the end just in case I ever ended up stationary in deep water, as a precaution.

Here's a picture of my cheapo snorkel. I cut around 2" off the top of the main tube so that the head sits lower. On both the original Safari and chinese copies the snorkel head sits much higher than the roofline of the vehicle and looks odd (as well as becoming a liability in multi-storey car parks)

2017-06-18 16.26.08.jpg

Back