Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommendations for stainless water tank

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Getting a bespoke tank fabricated to fill dead space behind a cargo barrier. Looking at stainless as plastic walls are too thick cutting the litres. I've not played much with fittings before so I'm looking for recommendations on best fittings for the tank. Should I use male or female connectors welded on the tank? My inlet will be 1.5 inches and outlet and breather 3/4 inches. Another thought for the inlet was a 1.5 inch pipe instead of a connector. I can't see pros and cons so thought I'd ask people who know more about the plumbing. The tank filling will be via a metre long flexible hose into the inlet.

There is a good German company just outside Hamburg thad do custom water tanks in plastic.
I have been intouch a few times, but unfortunately we have not completed any deals as of yet.
I could dig out contact details

My choice would be all female connectors on the tank.
Most tanks that I have come across dont have a breather..... Thats MY experience with a fair few aftermarked tanks...
The tanks I have fitted have often had a 1/2" outlet & a 2" inlet/filler.

On my latest build I had a plastic tank & stainless fittings. I have bad bad experience with brass fittings...
I used silicone based food grade hoses on both ends.
I will do the same on my upcomming build :)

I have both plastic and stainless. I've found stainless does add a tinge to the taste of the water so now it goes through a carbon pack filter. The plastic one doesn't need that

Sort of comes down to how much water you want to carry. I can't see the thickness of the tank making much difference. Metal at 1mm and plastic at say 2mm? If you lost a litre I'd be surprised
I did Morocco with the on board 70l shaped tank, never ran out and had two Desert showers. But then you'd never catch me drinking water. Hmm

Plastic ones usually have threads 'cast' into them. It's important to have a breather in the cap or somewhere at least to allow you to both fill and draw water
I'd think you'd typically get the female thread in the tank. I think all mine are like that. I do like plastic fittings as they seem to seal well when you nip them up.

Having been through some of this, part of this is to do with the welding. You need catering grade construction where the welds get acid treated or something odd. If not then they do corrode and taint the water. I don't recall the detail
I want to replace the tanks in my trailer which are twin 70l stainless and I'm going with plastic

From another angel;
NO germs or similar will growe on the SS provided it is food grade, which is what You should use anyway.
Keep the welding to a minimum as mentioned above.
The tast bit I figure is a personal matter. Carbon filter or better is in årincipal not a bad idea. Many products out there
Stainless is however brittle & difficult to repair off the beaten track.

The plastic water tanks I have come across hva a moukded threaded insert for filling/draining.

I have travelled in Africa with both types. We did not have any issues with them what so ever.
If You can, add a gauge or at least some sort of measure to check contence.

One 1 occation we where in Botswana & camped for 3 days on a row. We had a 60 ltr tank for food, prep & personal use. Not drinking. The 60 ltrs where sufficient for two adults.

The same 2 adults did a 11 day off grid tour in the Kalahari (CKGR) & we had 100l in a tank. In addition to 100-120l bottled drinking water. That was by far insufficient.

Just coming to the end of a two week trip and maj. tanks have run dry tonight. 3 adults bug water mostly used for washing up and hot drinks. But also had a good shower from them too. Capacity believed to be around 150 litres all told. Here in Europe I could have topped up many times to be fair but didn't. We could also have been a big more frugal I guess but they've done well

Just to close this one off, http://soarvalleysteelboats.co.uk made a fully bespoke shape [one side indented to fit snug around cargo barrier] food-grade stainless tank all for around £200 which, given they added a recessed outlet, large threaded inlet and breather, I thought was excellent value and comparable to the plastic manufacturers others recommend. The contact there is Pete who is very helpful. They were quick too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have both plastic and stainless. I've found stainless does add a tinge to the taste of the water so now it goes through a carbon pack filter. The plastic one doesn't need that

Sort of comes down to how much water you want to carry. I can't see the thickness of the tank making much difference. Metal at 1mm and plastic at say 2mm? If you lost a litre I'd be surprised
I did Morocco with the on board 70l shaped tank, never ran out and had two Desert showers. But then you'd never catch me drinking water. Hmm

Plastic ones usually have threads 'cast' into them. It's important to have a breather in the cap or somewhere at least to allow you to both fill and draw water
I'd think you'd typically get the female thread in the tank. I think all mine are like that. I do like plastic fittings as they seem to seal well when you nip them up.

Having been through some of this, part of this is to do with the welding. You need catering grade construction where the welds get acid treated or something odd. If not then they do corrode and taint the water. I don't recall the detail
I want to replace the tanks in my trailer which are twin 70l stainless and I'm going with plastic
Hi Chris,
Witch stainless steel is been used to do your tank?
Honestly, the fact you have a tinge of the taste look strange to me.
Did you used 316 or 304? Or any other?

Had new tanks made locally so all that previous stuff you can ignore

All good

Had new tanks made locally so all that previous stuff you can ignore

All good
I was interested because for what I know you don't have this problem with 316 (food grade) and 304.
If you had it with one of these...it's something good to know! :wink:

Thanks Chris
Cheers

Personally I've only ever gone for the plastic tanks - after everything I have every had made out of stainless has fractured at the seams after a trip or two... Last tank was a 75 liter plastic that was form fitted into a space behind the drivers seat....

Notes - I asked for the following - input 'hole' big enough for me to fit my hand and arm in - so I could wipe around the interior of the tank with a dry cloth (paper towel etc) - a catch tank (drop tank) at the very bottom where all the tank outputs were (filter and drain)so I could ensure the last liter or so wasn't just sloshing around and an additional drain pipe outlet that so that I could fully drain the tank without going through the filter. Plastic was opaque so I could see the water level - probably 4 or 5 mil thick... with a couple of mounting ears plastic welded on so it was bolted down... works very well.

Note - the shower unit bypasses the filer... that ensures you get decent shower pressure... drinking/cooking water outlets to the rear and tea making side go through the filer.

But as always - the choice is yours....

Personally I've only ever gone for the plastic tanks - after everything I have every had made out of stainless has fractured at the seams after a trip or two... Last tank was a 75 liter plastic that was form fitted into a space behind the drivers seat....

Notes - I asked for the following - input 'hole' big enough for me to fit my hand and arm in - so I could wipe around the interior of the tank with a dry cloth (paper towel etc) - a catch tank (drop tank) at the very bottom where all the tank outputs were (filter and drain)so I could ensure the last liter or so wasn't just sloshing around and an additional drain pipe outlet that so that I could fully drain the tank without going through the filter. Plastic was opaque so I could see the water level - probably 4 or 5 mil thick... with a couple of mounting ears plastic welded on so it was bolted down... works very well.

Note - the shower unit bypasses the filer... that ensures you get decent shower pressure... drinking/cooking water outlets to the rear and tea making side go through the filer.

I've already one in stainless, I travelled a bit this year without any issue...
I'm just trying to understand and figure out what's in future

Thanks

HI

I'm going to be in the market for a tank, Denboy, where did you purchase yours from? Do you have any pics.

Regards
Gary

I'll take some photos and get an address of where it was made - I'll PM you.

Back