Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recon fuel pump or pusher pump?

Lorin

Is there any point in reconditioning/rebuilding the fuel pump on an 80 if I'm going to fit a Walbro pusher pump?

The truck runs fine but I'm going to get the injectors done and am not sure if it's worth doing the fuel pump.

Looking forward to this feedback... I managed to stall MUX a few times at Lincomb & was considering this mod. Chatting with Jon though, feedback from Ian was that it hadn't resolved the stalling issues completely.

Is this why you're doing it Lorin?

The pusher pump is because of fitting a long-range fuel tank. Whilst mine doesn't stall on steep inclines (on tickover) there is a noticable drop in revs indicative (I think) of some difficulty pumping the fuel.

I was just thinking that to recon a fuel pump isn't a cheap or easy job, and is it really needed with a pusher pump that effectively cuts down the work the fuel pump has to do....?

Even if not fitting a LR tank, would installing a pusher pump be a better (and possibly more cost effective) solution/option than a recon/rebuild for a tired fuel pump...?

A pusher pump will relieve the load on the lift pump but not the main part of the pump. If you think your pump isn't working as it should then I don't think a Walbro will fix it.

Lorin,
Why not try the pusher pump and see how you go before committing the £££ to reconditioning your IP? IP recons aint cheap by all accounts!

As Jon was pointing out, the IP performs 2 distinct functions: 1 is "sucking" the fuel from the tank to the IP and 2. is generating the very high pressures required to inject the fuel in vapour form quickly into the cylinders. The Walbro will obviously assist with function 1 but other than ensuring that ample fuel is present in the IP for function 2, the Walbro won't actually assist with the injection process.
Fitting the Walbro will give you a good idea whether insufficient fuel (i.e. function 1) was causing improper injection (function 2) if everything now works great. :mrgreen:

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

As has been implied already I have a pusher pump fitted on the green car. It did not help with the nose up stalling problem. I looked at the cost getting the IP sorted and chose to live with the problem.

As Lorin is fitting a LRFT I would certainly say fit a pusher pump if you are planning to fuel directly from the LRFT rather than transfer fuel to the normal tank and then feed from there.

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back