Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recovery Hitch

warrenpfo

I want to make one of these and wondered if it could be made out of mild steel and would it be best to atack it with an angle gringer or bench grinder?

hitch-pin-s.gif

It is machined from 1018 steel producing a 25,000 Lb. Safe Working Load with a 1.5 safety Factor. The hitch is Nickel Plated for a high quality durable finish.

viking-recovery-hitch4-s.gif

images

To be locked in place by:

SXT5_1182290406.jpg

Specifications:

LIFETIME WARRANTY
Patented dual lock log design offers over 5,800 pounds of head pull strength
Tested specifications exceeds 40,000 pounds
No internal springs to seize up or break
Premium 100% stainless steel
Knurling on lock heads adds style and grip and is machined from 100% solid stainless steel
Double headed or dog bone style design
Width between heads (exposed pin length or gap space) is 3 1/2"

Warren, are you not sleeping at night Mate? I know some of us like to over engineer, but jeez. Are you planning on pulling mountains out of the ground?

That is a beautifully produced piece of art that will do no different a job to a piece of 6mm walled box with an 'ole through it. Complete overkill.

Now if they're £5.49 I'll have one. But I suspect that they are ridiculous money. 25,000lbs SWL? Where are you going to develop that sort of load? Remember that your winch is only 9500 or 12, 000 as a comparison

I'm beginning to suspect that you won the Lotto and have been holding out on us.

My old Gran need a hip replacement and apparently those tow hitches fit just right. :pray:

Making something like that as a one off will cost three times what you can buy it for. Huge amount of work to get it that nice. Now a piece of 50 x 50 box with a hole in I can do for a tenner :D

Sorry bud. It's a slow night.

Chris

Chris, I had my suspisions you would be the first to comment and also only one of a few who would appreciate the beauty of such an item. I showed the wife and she just laughed at me :doh:

I do seem to have plenty spare time on my hands and seem to spend most of it on the US websites drooling over all the nice gear they have over there. We really are so limited as to what we can buy this side it ticks me right off.

If a bit of old box and hole will do then I am happy to go that route but thought if I can get some scrap iron from my local and perhaps take a grinder to it I might just be able to get something like it.

No lotto this side I’ve just spent my time watching what everyone has done to their trucks and decided it’s time to catch up.

Thanks as always :thumbup:

Well I'd hate to disappoint you. Yes it is really quite exquisite and I'd like one. But it's bonkers. Do you have a receiver? The problem with some of the Yank stuff is that they use 2" and we use 50mm. Nominally they are different so not always a good fit. So as a compromise how about this..

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=14

or

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=14

They're really good enough.

Bit of scrap and make your own? Well, you could if you made a template out of card and ground to it. But that is a massive amount of metal to remove. You could mill it, but actually you'd be better with a shaping machine really.

Fabricating one from parts is so much easier. In fact I made one for Andrew if I recall.

Chris

Yes I have a reciever on its way...ARB rear bar with tyre carrier should be here with its brother the front bar in 3 weeks time. Not sure what the dimentions are of its reciever so have sent email to request details before purchase or the recovery point.

I never knew there was such a machine as a shaper. Will have to take a look.

It's basically a back and forth stroke with a tool mounted in a holder which acts a bit like a chisel. On the forward stroke it cuts then as the tool passes backwards over the work piece, it flips up (like and outboard motor) before coming for another cut.

There's no telling how they made those. Laser cut, CNC milled, finished by pixies etc etc.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Fabricating one from parts is so much easier. In fact I made one for Andrew if I recall.
:thumbup: Yep, I am indeed the proud owner of a 50mm recovery point fabricated by Chris and his team of pixie finishers :mrgreen:

That lump of metal does look impressive but remember the retaining pin and the walls of the receiver also need to be as strong or its 25000lb SWL is meaningless. I am with Chris - a functional one doesn't need to be that fancy. If you want a work of art, then that Yank jobbie smothered in chrome will make you the envy of the Chatsworth racers when you get home :lol:

Nice spot on those recovery shackles Chris - bit pricey of course, but that's D44 for you :?

Never mind - on the birthday list now ...

Get yourself a bit of solid bar and make one up for yourself :) Using the beg, borrow & steal approach :D ;)

My one cost me nowt in the end, just a bit of patience and perseverance :D :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10293

P3070220.jpg

P3070224.jpg

P4060555.jpg

if its an arb bar you're getting, it will be the standard 2" rather than 50mm. Have a look on amazon.com though, they have recently started doing shipping on heavier things from the us, such as receiver shackles and other receiver fitments like drop plates, locking pins etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29...1A7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331205674&sr=8-1

it will be cheaper than getting one from the uk. If you're getting a drop plate for towing trailers, you'll need to get a 50mm diameter ball in the uk though as the ones on amazon will be 2".

That's prety good that is :think: I just went onto Amazon ordered it and went all the way through to the checkout just to check as I've found often it stops you at the checkout saying we cant ship this item to your address, but this time it would have let me order it 16-18days delivery or 4-6 express for a tad more wonga :D :thumbup: Not bad is that :think: It's still not as cheap as a bit of begged solid bar, milled to size with a couple of holes drilled into though :D :D ;)

I just use the pin in my dixon bate.
Might only be rated at 3.5t, but so is the towbar.

25000lbs on the reciever hitch sounds good, but can the rest of the fittings take it?

Back