Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recovery Safty Strap

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Just been watching a video on recovery techniques by Andrew St.Pierre White and John Rich off the 4xforum and I must say it's been very educational. It has some good tips and safty ideas. It clearly highlights that for me at least I have not been as carefull as I can be.

Anyway one of the things these guys do is that they put a extra safety strap around the ends connecting the tow cable to the vehicle so that if anything breaks the safty strap will catch/hold the bits and stop the flying metal. Hard to explain really, but essentially it's a shorter strap around 1m which is "tied" to the winch rope/cable and also to the vehicle end.

I have done some searching and the closest I have found it these:

http://www.theratchetshop.co.uk/ratchet ... 26_30.html

http://www.theratchetshop.co.uk/round-s ... p-134.html

For the price it seems a no brainer, but has anyone of you experienced chaps used these or have a better idea/source for this kit?

Cheers

Machine mart do a good one with extra protection on the ends, comes with the right paperwork too.
I like the 4xforum stuff but cant see why its worth buying his dvd's as everything seems to be online for free :think:

Tony, I think this IS important with a kinetic rope or strap because not only is there a lot of energy stored in the strap but also the pulling vehicle typically has some decent momentum. With a regular non-stretch strap or rope, I think this is less of an issue - a winch blanket or equivalent should be ample IMHO.

Obviously there is no harm in the belts & braces approach to safety (come in, Chris :mrgreen: ), so by all means add some supplementary retaining ropes/straps if you wish. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul said:
Machine mart do a good one with extra protection on the ends, comes with the right paperwork too.
I like the 4xforum stuff but cant see why its worth buying his dvd's as everything seems to be online for free :think:
Ah did not think about Machine Mart, will take a look.

As for 4xforum you need to register to get the bulk of the videos, so not sure how to get it for free......

sae70 said:

Thanks Steve I'll take a look at these too, always like to go with a recommendation :clap:

Will have mine with me on sunday if you are coming.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's looking a bit brighter for Sunday... so I may make it yet :dance: Would be good to take a look at what you have, cheers Paul

Back