Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recycling third row seat mounts and Viair 450c Install

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
At the beginning of the year I was in the states for a couple of weeks and managed to pick up a Viair 450c on board air kit for a really good price. So since the weather has perked up somewhat I crawled under my 80 to see where I could mount the tank. After much head scratching I relegated to the fact that I don't have enough room to mount the tank anywhere.

I initially wanted to mount it the way the Chris did on GW but turns out the LPG tank is a fair bit deeper than the spare would have been so that was a no go.

Anyway so not wanting this bit of kit to gather dust any longer I chose to mount it in the boot. Now I didn't want to loose too much boot space so I mounted it above the wheel arch, which is generally lost space anyway.

So first mission was to come up with a bracket of sorts to hold the tank. I don't use the third row seats so I decided to recycle the seat mount.

DSC_0290-1.jpg

DSC_0293-2.jpg

Not wanting it to rotate freely I welded up the joints. Tip: If any of you decided to ever weld these mounts make sure you remove the plastic bushes. Burning plastic stinks...

DSC_0295-3.jpg

DSC_0296-4.jpg

Next I used a bit of 2" x 1" 1mm box section I had lying around alond with some 1" angle to make a platform for the tank. I then welded this onto the seat mounts.

DSC_0297-5.jpg

DSC_0299-6.jpg

Then painted it and mounted it up.

DSC_0309-3.jpg

DSC_0312-5.jpg

DSC_0310-4.jpg

I made up some feet for the compressor as well out of the box section I had. This is bolted to the boot floor with some rivnuts. you can see these in the above photo.

The rest of the install is basically as per the manual. Pretty straight forward. I did hash up the gauge install though... :oops:

DSC_0315-7.jpg

Initially i tried to mount the gauge pod where the gaping hole is, but turned out the wasn't enough room for the air line which comes straight out of the back of the gauge. Plan B, which turned out to look a lot better, was to remove the gauge and switch from the pod provided and mount it directly into the gear lever cover panel thingy (no idea what the correct name is)

I have the Viair kit running now but i still want to install an air point under my bonnet as well as one closer to the tail gate. The only issue I think I still need to sort is the power. At the moment is does seem to be taking a fair clip l,onger to fill the tank than stated on Viairs website, but they also state the compressor shout be as close to the power source as possible. Now this is where you electric boffins need to chime in. I am using the supplied 12awg power cable, but because the compressor is about as far from the battery as it can be I think I need to run a bigger cable, like a 10 or 8awg. Would this help with getting more amps to the compressor? And would this in turn make it perform a bit better. It draws 19amps @ 13.8v. Now I have measured the voltage it's getting which is 13.8 but I don't know how to measure the amps it's pulling :confusion-confused:

So far my impressions are that it seems ok, would be better if the tank filled as quickly as the web sates. Only downside is that once the tank is empty, which with 33's happens fairly quickly then you have to either wait for the tank to fill again and give the tyre another blast or leave it connected. But then you are essentially filling the tank and tyre at the same time.

Once I have resolved the power thing I'll report back.

man on a mission with a welder :)

Why not run some beefy cable to the rear (will be used for other things as well) and then a relay.
Is that switch under the gauge the power switch? Looks a bit small for that type of current?

Why not mount the compressor in the engine bay and run an airlin back? Lots of room.

I want to mount mine at some point. I'm not sure about inside though - the main thing that is stopping me from doing it is how noisy these compressors can be. How do you find the noise level in the cabin when it is running?

Mines in the cabin just behind the passengers seat and with the tank it does not run as often as you would think. Anyway any noise can be easily drowned by turning up the volume :D

TonyP said:
Mines in the cabin just behind the passengers seat and with the tank it does not run as often as you would think. Anyway any noise can be easily drowned by turning up the volume :D

That volume trick doesn't work so well with a baby in the car - I haver tried :thumbdown:

So is yours powered up all the time then, or do you switch it off when not in use? I would like to power mine via a pressure switch, and have a manual switch to turn it off when I am not using it.

Can these compressors be mounted on their sides? I have a T-max twin pump model.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah yes that would be a problem.

Yeah mine has a manual over ride switch and is also on a pressure switch, so once the tank is full it stops. When it drops below a certain level it starts up again. In all honesty once the tank is full and with no use it slowly leaks out, and the compressor will only run for about 5 mins to top it up maybe once every 2 days. Obviously if filling tires or whatever it will run more, but then in general you won't be sitting in the car.

TonyP said:
Ah yes that would be a problem.

Yeah mine has a manual over ride switch and is also on a pressure switch, so once the tank is full it stops. When it drops below a certain level it starts up again. In all honesty once the tank is full and with no use it slowly leaks out, and the compressor will only run for about 5 mins to top it up maybe once every 2 days. Obviously if filling tires or whatever it will run more, but then in general you won't be sitting in the car.

Where did you get your pressure switch? and at what pressure is it set?

fridayman said:

Dunno, Chris had already installed this before I bought the vehicle. Can't remember what pressure it runs up to (will check tonight) but it goes all the way over to the end of the gauge, scarily so :shock:

I am soon going to be installing air in the truck, I was thinking of installing the tank where the spare wheel used to live but I noticed you have the tank inside, that would be more convenient for me, but how safe are air tanks? I imagine there would be a hell of a mess if it burst inside the vehicle. :auto-ambulance:

TonyP said:
fridayman said:

Dunno, Chris had already installed this before I bought the vehicle. Can't remember what pressure it runs up to (will check tonight) but it goes all the way over to the end of the gauge, scarily so :shock:
When I looked into fitting a pressure switch to my T-Max Adventurer viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8804 I found that Matt Savage had a good selection http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/co ... tings.html

sae70 said:
TonyP said:
fridayman said:

When I looked into fitting a pressure switch to my T-Max Adventurer viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8804 I found that Matt Savage had a good selection http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/co ... tings.html

Perfect! Cheers.

Crispin said:
man on a mission with a welder :)

Just something about melting metal that puts a smile on my face :D

No that's not the power switch. That switch energises the pressure switch, which then turns on the comproessor as and when required. A separate power cable is run directly from the battery to the pressure switch.

fridayman said:
How do you find the noise level in the cabin when it is running?

The noise is acceptable. As TonyP has mentioned the compressor only runs for a few minutes to fill the tank and then shuts off automatically. I only turn it on when I know I'm going to need it.

fridayman said:

Pressure switch comes with the Viair Kit.

Cossack said:
I am soon going to be installing air in the truck, I was thinking of installing the tank where the spare wheel used to live but I noticed you have the tank inside, that would be more convenient for me, but how safe are air tanks? I imagine there would be a hell of a mess if it burst inside the vehicle. :auto-ambulance:

The tank is fitted with a PRV( Pressure Relief Valve) which will open at approx 175psi. So no chance of the tank bursting. Air tanks are generally safe. Only when a tank is compromised, either from rust or some sort of impact, will it realistically pose a risk of bursting. And that's only if your PRV is fecked too.

Cossack said:

The tank is fitted with a PRV( Pressure Relief Valve) which will open at approx 175psi. So no chance of the tank bursting. Air tanks are generally safe. Only when a tank is compromised, either from rust or some sort of impact, will it realistically pose a risk of bursting. And that's only if your PRV is fecked too.

:thumbup: Cheers Ryan.

vitually no chance of them bursting I would say

does the tank have a water trap / valve on it or are they seperate?

Crispin said:
Don't know if it's a water 'trap' but mine does have a valve on the bottom.

Crispin said:

Not a water trap as such, just a drain cock that you fit to the lowest port, depending on how you install the tank. You should periodically drain of any moisture that may have collected in the tank.

Auto drains are available for getting rid of the water from tanks like this... :cool: Let me know if you want one sourcing :D

Any certified tank will be fine unless poorly maintained, like any piece of engineering apparatus :ugeek:

Back