Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recycling

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
What is the point of trying to recycle when the bins don't get emptied because of the wrong type of plastic?
Over here we have 3 types of bins, black, brown and then 3 small boxes for paper, plastic and glass.
The black and brown bins are simple, brown is garden and food waste, black for everything else, but the other one is where I have a problem with.
It appears that the plastic bin is only for certain types of plastic and God forbid that if there is one bit of wrong plastic in there that the whole thing gets left.
How can they take a milk bottle but not the plastic that was covering a new mattress? Both is made from plastic but 1 is the correct type of plastic and the other isn't so they leave the whole lot which then end up in the black bin.
This is happening while everywhere you see signs saying we need to recycle more.
:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:

Bin men leave so much junk in this street i've often thought i should put a metal bin on the pavement and just burn whatever is put in it .

Our (brown) bin for plastics is not for the “single use” type that cannot be easily recycled. We’ve also been “told off” with a note on the bin saying we’d put the wrong plastic in. A rough guide is if the plastic is the soft flexible polythene type then its recycleable but with some types its impossible to tell.

Ah, yes that is one of my grips with the current recycling system. What exactly is single use plastic? Looking it up says the following: Single-use plastics, or disposable plastics, are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. These items are things like plastic bags, straws, coffee stirrers, soda and water bottles and most food packaging.
This doesn't calculate for me, they are happy to take a coke bottle but not a plastic bag. To me both are plastic and should go into the same bin which can then be sorted out at the recycling plant as to what they can/want to do with it.

Don't get me started. It's a joke.
We asked for a bigger recycling bin because we fill ours pretty quick and end up with the bin bursting plus two bin bags full.
We basically can't have a bigger bin unless we have another kid..?!

A lot off stuff gets recycled into heat now...

Back