Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Red Brake Light on Dash

IRLGW

I recently replaced my master cylinder with a milner one, However I now have a constant red warning light on the dash (not the handbrake one). The same one that shows low brake fluid level although the brakes a re stopping ok and have been bled extensively.

I suppose my question is what are activators for that light? is it solely the master cylinder or does it get input from say the ABS unit, as I am also getting the ABS light intermittently (but I think that's because I have grease on the sensor) and just wondering if the two can be related or if I just got a dodgy master cylinder.

Stupid I know given your knowledge but are you sure you plugged the electrical connection back into the master cylinder when you fitted it?

Isn't there a little 'eye' in the sensor in the master cylinder tank? If so,this can get covered with a film of muck and prevent it seeing the fluid.

If you’ve still got the old master cylinder, perhaps block the outlets, fill it and plug the sensor connector in to see if the dash light goes out. At least that would show if the fault’s with the new m/c or not.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You know that for sure Frank? I had one from them and it was an OEM. Faultless fit and function. Not everything Milners sell is rubbish. Some of their parts are extremely good and a real saving. Others I'd avoid. But I wouldn't condemn a part unless I'd see it first hand perhaps. Always good to have a balanced view you know.

Sorry guys I was busy for a few days, Yes I should plug the old one back in to see if that takes the light off. I suppose I just want to be sure that the two lights cannot be related. One of those things no lights before job then lights after job. Out of interest how sensitive are the ABS sensors? it definitely got a few clunks trying to pull the CV out before I worked out what was going on!

P.S tip of the day : The bolt that srews the ABS sensor down into the housing is the same thread and diameter as the CV drive shaft. Thus you can use it to pull the shaft out to fit the circlip and THEN fit the ABS sensor.....

I'll reserve judgement on Milners until I source the problem. I did notice that their reservoir doesn't appear to be mounted to the cylinder as well as the one that I removed and the one I removed (assume to be original) had a twist cap and the milner has a flexible rubber one which feels a bit flimsy. Still, I fitted new handbrake shoes just in case..

Well you're somewhat lucky. Wasn't it BAT21 who bought a Milner MC that did not even work.

I recently replaced my master cylinder with a milner one, However I now have a constant red warning light on the dash (not the handbrake one). The same one that shows low brake fluid level although the brakes a re stopping ok and have been bled extensively.

I suppose my question is what are activators for that light? is it solely the master cylinder or does it get input from say the ABS unit, as I am also getting the ABS light intermittently (but I think that's because I have grease on the sensor) and just wondering if the two can be related or if I just got a dodgy master cylinder.

I'm unable to locate the light you mention. Can you give me an idea of where it is in relation to the handbrake light please?

The reason I ask is because ever since fitting a Milner's MC, the handbrake light flashes every now and again. It happens usually when I accelerate or brake, but not always. I thought it was something to alert me to fluid level (which is ok) but now that you mention a second red light (not the handbrake one) I'm not so sure.

Can anyone confirm that the handbrake warning light is solely to indictate that the handbrake is on?

It is on my truck, brake fluid is a separate lamp to handbrake, Hand brake has a P in it and brake warning an exclamation mark, as per attached image.

Hope this helps, btw mine is a 1996 4.2 24 valve.

PC080062.JPG

If all four brake pads are low on beef, this lowers the fluid level enought on mine to make the light flicker and eventually stay on

It is on my truck, brake fluid is a separate lamp to handbrake, Hand brake has a P in it and brake warning an exclamation mark, as per attached image.

Hope this helps, btw mine is a 1996 4.2 24 valve.

View attachment 110292

I don't think I've ever seen the "P" warning light. The light that flashes on me is the "!" light. In fact when I pull the handbrake its the "!" light that lights up!!

Mine is a 1997 4.2 24 valve.

I don't think I've ever seen the "P" warning light. The light that flashes on me is the "!" light. In fact when I pull the handbrake its the "!" light that lights up!!

Mine is a 1997 4.2 24 valve.

Hmm, perhaps Toyota changed something, or has some one in your vehicles past rewired or changed something.

I have a 1994 Rav4 and a 1994 corolla and although the light placement is different they use exactly the same ones for brake/hand brake warning lamps.

I recently replaced my Milners brake master cylinder with an Aisin from Roughtrax. The flashing light is no more (see post #10 above) and the braking has improved.

I have a '98 reg 24 valve and I don't have the (P) light either. Just the (!) and a separate ABS light.

All the lights are explained in the owners handbook together with a warning only to use genuine Toyota parts.

Bump!
I still have not been able to rectify this and MOT is just a coupe of weeks away.... I plugged the original MC back in and it made no difference. Occasionally I am getting ABS light flicker but I think that may be air or a dodgy sensor. Does anyone happen to know the resistance of a working sensor for an 80series?

Is there a way to activate the ABS remotely so I can bleed it singlehanded or does it not require this level of detail?

Garfieldus sorry I missed your earlier question but I guess it has been answered by those who know. I suppose my original query was what parts of the braking system are connected to this light. I assumed it was just the fluid level indicator but maybe there is also a wire from the ABS possibly.

Back