Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Refitting Window Wind Deflectors (VX 80 1997)

Shaun.Tosen

Country Flag
south_africa
I have looked on ToyoDIY for the part numbers to ensure I am making reference to the correct part name. I am unable to find it, and assume that accessories are not on ToyoDIY.
These deflectors are rattling, and I would like to reseat them.

17112013503.jpg

Having removed the brackets attaching the deflectors, there is a putty coloured adhesive with a double-sided tape texture.
Below are the pictures of the remaining adhesive and the aged adhesive with the cracks on the right hand front door.

17112013504.jpg

The adhesive does not come off easily, even using a plastic egg lift. I have also run out of elbow grease.

What can I use (chemical and tool) to easily remove the adhesive on both the door frame and the deflector without damaging the paint and plastic/perspex deflector.
What can I use to attach is again - double-sided tape of Bostik Car?

Please can anyone advise?

Lighter fluid and a plastic scraper will get that off as for re-attaching; it will need to be some pretty hardcore stuff to make sure they stay on, I would try something like tiger seal personally.

White spirits or turps dissolve most adhesives i would finish off with "Clay Bar" which is about as abrasive as wax but won't leave any residue that might prevent new adhesive sticking . You can get it a Halfords .

High strength clear silicone would fix them I'm sure.

Refit them with some trim tape, the type used for sticking on external trim pieces and badges etc. Available from Halfords and other accessory shops. I've used brake cleaner to remove various adhesives when all else has failed but try it on an inconspicuous part of the paintwork first.

DONT use white spirit or Turpentine! It will remove the paint! Lighter Fluid (very similar to Panel Wipe/Paint prep De-greaser which paint shops use) will not affect the paint but will dissolve, soften the adhesive making it easier to scrape off with a soft (plastic) impliment.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:shock: Its never done my truck no harm and with shiney gloss black it would certainly show ? think i will use lighter fluid myself in future just in case :shifty::icon-smile::shifty:

Just googled it and it looks like white spirit is often used to remove old wax which once done can leave car paint looking patchy until its been waxed again . I never use wax so maybe thats why i never had any problems with it ?

Still i use a Zippo and so always lighter petrol available and i will use that in future just to be on the safe side so thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've also used white spirit to remove tar spots and diesel stains many times without any effects on the bodywork. If the paint used on the window frames is the of the same base it shouldn't affect them either. Cellulose or 2 pack based paints shouldn't be affected by white spirit or turps as they're petroleum based solvents. Acetone based solvents certainly would ruin your day. JMO

shaneif you see the op is in pretoria which is inSA. they dont have halfords.
+1 for brake cleaner. you can reattach with the double sided tape for number plates or fitting panels. aak in a body shop.
stu

T-Cut may work as well, but I'm not too sure if it'll damage the plastic?

Clay bar will be available in almost any motor store stocking car detailing products i would imagine , i also found adhesive tape which looks well up to the job from a few reviews i've read but unfortunately (and unusually) it looks like a UK product but i will post it on the off chance you can get it in Pretoria and if not it may be of use to others looking to do the same . "Everbuild Mammoth Powerful Grip Double Sided Tape"

Last edited:
Refitting Window Wind Deflectors (VX 80 1997) (Repaired)

Thanks for all the advice.

I sourced some acrylic adhesive foam tape from Balco in Pretoria West (South Africa).

The tape is 8mm wide and less than 1mm thick. Two strips were placed along side each other to make up the suitable width. A 12 or 16mm width is more suitable.

When cutting the tape, do not use a serrated edge scissors. This does not cut the tape well.

The position of the deflector on the frame must be marked before you attempt to fit the deflector. Once it touches the frame, it cannot be moved easily.

What works well is to apply the tape to the deflector first, and when you are ready to fit it, then remove the backing, otherwise it really becomes a sticky job.

Not too difficult to do, by you need to think it through.

Back