Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Refugee from "the other site"

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

Refugee from the other site.. Gavlad pointed me here.

Same name , same truck, same objective.

Hope this site is more active than the other!

Here's the truck helping a Spanish RR, with a flat battery and a flat tyre. he was carrying a spare.... with no jack!!!!!
IMG_0205_2.jpg

Olazz said:
Hi all,

Here's the truck helping a Spanish RR, with a flat battery and a flat tyre. he was carrying a spare.... with no jack!!!!!
IMG_0205_2.jpg

Welcome! Hopefully you'll find it a bit busier ;)

That photo - needs to be the club emblem. And LC helping a RR... ;)

Welcome Olazz!

Would love to know what must have gone through that Spaniard's mind about his shiny RR when he saw your kitted truck pulling up.... I bet he wasn't thinking of what a cool cat he is in his drug-dealer/footballer-special black pimp mobile :twisted:

BTW what made his battery flat? Sitting there pumping his 47-speaker stereo system and watching dvds with the kids while hoping someone would come past with a jack?

You also need to give us a rundown on your trip - how did the 80 go, feedback on tyres etc :ugeek:

Cheers,

Olazz said:
Hi all,

Welcome Olazz, we've only been here two months but already more active than the other place ;)

Tell us more about your Morocco trip.

Andrew Prince said:
Welcome Olazz!

Would love to know what must have gone through that Spaniard's mind about his shiny RR when he saw your kitted truck pulling up.... I bet he wasn't thinking of what a cool cat he is in his drug-dealer/footballer-special black pimp mobile :twisted:

BTW what made his battery flat? Sitting there pumping his 47-speaker stereo system and watching dvds with the kids while hoping someone would come past with a jack?

You also need to give us a rundown on your trip - how did the 80 go, feedback on tyres etc :ugeek:

Cheers,

They were a very nice family, but complete novices..

Husband, wife and 2 young sons under 10.
They had decided to take an unmarked road road across a mountain pass that they though to be 25kms,(locals told them) but was in fact closer to 120kms. They had no maps, no GPS and no idea where they were.

Battery was flat as they had been there for 6 hours and their two young sons were watching DVD's plugged into a 1500w inverter. Stopped running the engine as they were very low on fuel after running for 3 hours to keep the boys entertained. Battery went dead in about 40mins thereafter.

They had no food, 2lts of warm water and I was the first person ( and I guess the only person that day) to drive that route.

He didn't think to carry a jack as he had fitted BFG AT tyres before he left Spain and was told they would never have to worry about a puncture with those tyres.( and there was no room after his wife packed half her shoe cupboard)

The wife begged us to travel in convoy with them as the experience had really frightened them.

The route was like this for about another 60kms

IMG_0202_2.jpg

They were extremely grateful and they invited us to stay at their villa in Marbella for a week, put on a great party for us, introduced us to all their friends and family.

You can imagine the ribbing they got for the remainder of the trip about their rubbish RR and merits of the mighty LC.

He was amazed at the gear on the truck from the water/food/tent/ to the on board air etc etc etc.. just kept saying you could have stayed there for a week without a problem and we were panicking after 2 hours...

Anyway we made some good friends and they want to do another trip, this time with more preparation... he warned me that the next time hs car will be a real G4 RR!!!

LC80 - 1 RR - 0

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's quite a story! I am no expert on over-landing but... no map? 2lt of water? continue on an unmarked road after it is clearly longer than you thought, no jack(?!?!?!) etc etc. When you do get a flat, to entertain the kids, you run the battery down... No DVD for the kids while we stranded thank you very much!

Anyway, glad all was well in the end. They must have been starting to panic. That kind of thing kills.

The road ahead looks though!

a cupboard full of shoes! :lol: :lol:

Welcome - great looking track too.

Very noble of you to help out. well done.

That's a great story and some good lessons for all of us. Seems hard to believe that someone would jeopardise their family's lives by running down their fuel and then their only means of restarting their (auto) car simply to entertain their kids :shock: At worst with the flat tyre and no spare, they could have locked the centre diff and just driven on until the rim was gone. But no battery juice and that option disappeared too....

I bet you felt good about all your accessories then!

With a couple of decent rocks and the active suspension you can get a wheel off the ground as well, or drive it up a slope as they lift off quite easily. Never mind eh?

Paul said:
or drive it up a slope as they lift off quite easily. Never mind eh?

Now there's a clever idea! (So simple :oops: )

Great story, they are indeed lucky that you turned up.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Yep it was a great trip and lots happened....
We would all have done the same thing to help out.... you never know when its your turn to need assistance.

Any chance of you sticking a link to your pics in the trip reports section, would love to have a nosey...

Crispin said:
Olazz said:
Hi all,

IMG_0205_2.jpg

Welcome! Hopefully you'll find it a bit busier ;)

That photo - needs to be the club emblem. And LC helping a RR... ;)
Well I know which one I would like to continue my overlanding in,,,,,,,,

he he he

Graham
??

Tommo&Claire said:
Any chance of you sticking a link to your pics in the trip reports section, would love to have a nosey...

Not been back long... haven't done a trip report yet so will try and bash something up over the weekend.

Welcome Olazz - looking forward to reading all about it!

Welcome aboard Olazz. I love reading stories like that :) I look forward to seeing your write-up

Hi Olazz,

Sounds like you had quite an adventure - I'm very envious! :) Look forward to hearing all the details.

Olazz said:

Some people have more money than sense! :shock: :roll:

Back