Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

registering an import fj45

steve mcc

Country Flag
uk
hi there im a brand new member and need some help please
iv just imported from austrailer na fully restored fj45 pick up
i have all the import papers nover ect
but it ausrailer thy dont have reg docs and when i spoke to dvla to register it the say with out written proof from toyota they will not consider it when i spoke to toyota uk they were very help full buy could not identifier it by the short chassis number which is as stamped on the plate under the hood fj45227539
with engine number 2f371046
can any one help me or point me in the right direction as im now stuck
thanks

Ok let's start with the reasons why toyo GB may not have the facts necessary - only 1500 45s were officially imported to the UK for agricultural use and only 1 (yes one) 40 series for their own use.

So how to get over your problem? I suggest that you contact Toyota Head Office in Japan. I will dig out and post the address tomorrow.
Past experience shows HO to respond quickly and in English.

I guess the seller to you was either a dealer or exporter, so have you you asked them for the contact info of the owner who had it on the road. Oz has registration numbers so at some point it will have had documentation for road registration and maybe they could send you a copy.

Personally I think you have a better chance with Toyota HO.

regards,

Rodger

Ok let's start with the reasons why toyo GB may not have the facts necessary - only 1500 45s were officially imported to the UK for agricultural use and only 1 (yes one) 40 series for their own use.

So how to get over your problem? I suggest that you contact Toyota Head Office in Japan. I will dig out and post the address tomorrow.
Past experience shows HO to respond quickly and in English.

I guess the seller to you was either a dealer or exporter, so have you you asked them for the contact info of the owner who had it on the road. Oz has registration numbers so at some point it will have had documentation for road registration and maybe they could send you a copy.

Personally I think you have a better chance with Toyota HO.

regards,

Rodger
THANKS FOR YOUR HEP ILL KEEP A LOOKOUT FOR TOYOTAS HQ ADDRESS
STEVE

From my limited experience from a bj74 which was imported from Eire and a fellow forum member did the registration etc.

It looks like it's a declaration of the value of the vehicle with a view of purchase value in regard to Vat and import duty. I remember being told that you have to get the confirmation done within a certain time scale to allow you to register and tax it of course! OR there's a late penalty charge (if applicable)! It states on it!

I have the document here and have been looking if there's a form number etc but it's just the go ahead green light of approval.. to go with when it's mot'd with the original country number plate on it. Then it's known it's roadworthy and go for uk registration! I hope this is right or I'll be in the same situation as yourself! I've done loads of work on it and it's not near finished. The project will be FFFF''DD if it doesn't work! Lol!

I remember seeing on here an Australian 40 series vin and it looked like it was stamped there and not a Japanese one..

All I know I'm afraid but a similar thing. Good luck with it and keep at it.. :thumbup:

The one thing the authorities usually want is proof of date of first registration. When I imported the Valk from Canada the Canadian reg doc only said " year 2000" which they wouldn't accept. A call back to Canada the seller went to the local Honda dealer who contacted Honda Canada and quite quickly an official letter came to me stating the info required right from the top. This is needed to give the vehicle the correct age related reg no.
Hope this helps.

BTW isn't the chassis no stamped on the chassis behind the R/H front wheel?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Below is the HO address.
You will see that it is addressed to the President. Mail not addressed to specific people does not get dealt with quickly.

Mr Akio Toyoda,
President,
Toyota Motor Corporation,
1 Toyota-Cho,
Toyota City,
Airchi Prefecture
471-8571
Japan.

It may also be worth getting the address of Toyota Australia and writing a similar letter to them.

Regards,

Rodger

hi there im a brand new member and need some help please
iv just imported from austrailer na fully restored fj45 pick up
i have all the import papers nover ect
but it ausrailer thy dont have reg docs and when i spoke to dvla to register it the say with out written proof from toyota they will not consider it when i spoke to toyota uk they were very help full buy could not identifier it by the short chassis number which is as stamped on the plate under the hood fj45227539
with engine number 2f371046
can any one help me or point me in the right direction as im now stuck
thanks

OK, reading this a few times and working it through:
1) You've got a FJ45 from Australia
2) It has NOVA etc for the import

BUT you don't have any record of it's last registration in Australia.

Australia does have rego papers, but they only belong to the vehicle when it has plates on it; unlike the UK, a vehicle of that era may have had 4 or 5 registration numbers if it's moved around the country, or on and off properties.

Most people get rid of the papers each year once the rego has expired and been renewed - good luck with finding any old paperwork. To register a vehicle in Aus without rego papers, it only needs a bill of sale between the seller and buyer, or a stat dec that you own the vehicle.

@Paddler Ed -do you have to present the vehicle with the statutory declaration?
Would the exporter be able to make the stat dec and does that prove that the vehicle had been registered for the road?
Or does that merely underwrite/substantiate ownership?

However with the Vin number Toyota Australia may be able to assist as they will hold records of all the vehicles that have passed through their hands.

@steve mcc You need to post the exact details via the Vin number including spaces, dashes, zeros, etc in the letters to Toyota.
I just did a search with the number you gave - it defaults to fj45-0227539 but there are 19 suffix variations of which 4 designate it to Oz. So the letters after the number on the plate need to be stated as well.
Is it a fj45 pick up produced in May 1979 with a 2F engine and 4 speed g/box?
Give us the full info from the plate and we may be able to get you a bit nearer and Toyota will need that full Vin plate information too.

Regards,

Rodger

Rodger and Ed are bang on.

As far as I know (I've imported two BJ73s into the UK in recent years) the only document the DVLA will accept if you dont have a valid registration certificate is a letter from Toyota stating the year of manufacture. It's only this date that they require proof of.

Somewhere in my files I have a letter from Toyota UK who originally said they couldn't help. After an emotional conversation a very nice lady found my truck and sent the letter with date of manufacture.

Finding your complete VIN is the key to this. Toyota UK will have it on a database even if they say they haven't.

The full VIN on the 70s is stamped on the chassis behind the front o/s wheel.

There is a brilliant web page somewhere (I'm at work. No chance of finding it) explaining landcruiser chassis numbers.

The number you included in your post is too short... fj45227539

It should start with a series of letters and numbers designating country of manufacture

So your chassis number should look something like

TW0V0FJ45227539 or JT1VOFJ45227539

Good luck. Have you got a photo of the VIN plate on the top of the engine compartment bulkhead.

By the way...

The definitive list of things you need to register with DVLA

1. A valid MOT (Check the tester has entered the chassis number correctly before you leave the testing station)

2. Nova notification (must be done within 14 days of vehicle arriving in UK) NOVA number is sent electronically to DVLA and no longer needs to be filled in on the application form. Take a screen shot on your computer for your records when it's done as HMRC will automatically delete confirmation record after a certain time.

3. Registration certificate or letter from Toyota with date of manufacture.

No insurance required unless you're in Northern Ireland.

Just looked up a few of the letters and numbers in the portugese BJ73 chassis number

TW0V0BJ73XXXXXXXX

T: Europe
W: Portugal
0: Salvator Caetano (manufacturer)
V: Body type van
0: EEC compliance 3.1.1.2
B: Engine
J: Model (Land Cruiser)
73: Model Number

Dunno if that helps. Interested to know if 40s have similar.

The Vin numbers on 40s were pre the 1985 requirement for 17 digit vin numbers. They just had:
BJ40 -xxxxxx. Alpha suffices then defined specifications e.g. LV-KCW.
Pre '85 life was much simpler!

Regards,
Rodger

When I get home from work I'll dig out the Toyota letter I had to get to register the first truck. Has the name of the lady who helped me out on it. Might help

@Paddler Ed -do you have to present the vehicle with the statutory declaration?
Would the exporter be able to make the stat dec and does that prove that the vehicle had been registered for the road?
Or does that merely underwrite/substantiate ownership?

However with the Vin number Toyota Australia may be able to assist as they will hold records of all the vehicles that have passed through their hands.

@steve mcc You need to post the exact details via the Vin number including spaces, dashes, zeros, etc in the letters to Toyota.
I just did a search with the number you gave - it defaults to fj45-0227539 but there are 19 suffix variations of which 4 designate it to Oz. So the letters after the number on the plate need to be stated as well.
Is it a fj45 pick up produced in May 1979 with a 2F engine and 4 speed g/box?
Give us the full info from the plate and we may be able to get you a bit nearer and Toyota will need that full Vin plate information too.

Regards,

Rodger
I'm really grateful for all the members help it gives me some where to go
Toyota uk say they can not help Toyota Australia can not help witch dose not sound right
so as you suggested letter to Toyota japan I can not believe they don't have an email address
if I find the chassis number under the wheel arch on chassis as they wont be the same as on the nova wont they complicate matter even more?
I'm glad I joined the club
Steve
fj chassis plate .jpg
L1.jpg
L2.jpg
L2.jpg
L3.jpg
L4.jpg
L9.jpg
L9.jpg
L8.jpg
L10.jpg
L10.jpg
L12.jpg

here some more pics of fj and the chassis plate

{admin Edit... removed duplicate pics}

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guy to can see im new to this as for so many pic sorry I will learn promise and thanks for all you member that have helped me in my struggle to get her registered

I'm really grateful for all the members help it gives me some where to go
Toyota uk say they can not help Toyota Australia can not help witch dose not sound right
so as you suggested letter to Toyota japan I can not believe they don't have an email address
if I find the chassis number under the wheel arch on chassis as they wont be the same as on the nova wont they complicate matter even more?
I'm glad I joined the club
Steve
here some more pics of fj and the chassis plate

Hi Steve,

So you have the model plate - there should be a compliance plate in there as well, which will give you the date of manufacture (All Aussie vehicles have them after 1972ish) and list which ADR's it needs to meet.

You've got the old WA Rego number there, and you've got the chassis number, so you might be able to get the registration history out of the system, which might help:
https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/ppsr/Q...si=4&wsi=0544a515-42a4-4140-b650-49ba1b739cf5

A quick check on the WA Department of Tranpsort Rego check gave me this:
Annotation 2019-06-13 220023.jpg

The Chassis number on the frame should match the one on the plate... if it doesn't, then you've got some really big problems...

Hope that all helps a bit,

Ed

Back